Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I have a quik question. I changing from a HEI distributor to msd box and external coil(blaster 2) . my question is can i run my msd BOX ignition wire to the old wire that use to go to my hei on batt side? isn't that a ignition wire? or should i go straight to fuse box ignition?

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Re: hei to msd box/ ex.coil

Do you know if the old BATT wire on the HEI was converted to a good 12V line from the IGN circuit or was it left as the cloth covered resistor wire? If it was set up using the resistor wire, it would give enough voltage to fire the HEI (though not well), but will not be good enough to power on the MSD box.

In any case, you would run a line from the IGN terminal on your fuse block to the small red wire on the MSD box. Then the large red wire would connect straight to the positive battery terminal.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts

Got a curious question. I installed a MSD box on my 427, 700r, 373 gears on my 69 truck and could tell no difference except in my wallet. RPM with a speed demon 800 and MSD distributor. Whats with that?

·
Registered
8,349 Posts

Sounds about right.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

If you are running a fairly mild combo with no NOS or boost then I would not expect an MSD to pick it up. In fact, if you had asked me last month I would not have thought an MSD would ever pick one up but I found out different. In my boosted application with water/meth injection I picked up a tenth just by adding the MSD. Why? Because my factory ignition could not adequately light the fire when the water/meth injection and boost came on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts