Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a problem with the HEI I put in my 67. It is jammed up aganist the firewall, and I can bearly turn it to time it. When I pulled the engine out, I thought about beating on the firewall to create a little more room, but it seemed pretty stiff, plus I would really rather get something that fits better, since I am rebuilding a hi performance 383. Any suggestions.

·
19,860 Posts
Thats a common problem and yes a small cap/body HEI will work fine.

The problem is with the motor mounts and their position.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I had the same problem on my 400 SB. I didn’t want to beat the firewall in, so I went with a MSD distributer and a 6AL box, it works GREAT.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
I had the same problem on my 400 SB. I didn’t want to beat the firewall in, so I went with a MSD distributer and a 6AL box, it works GREAT.
MSD pro bullet dist,6al box and matching blaster coil ,Happy motoring,you'll love it the stuff

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I believe that MSD has a small cap RTR dist. that does not need the box. I wish I had done better research before I installed my large cap MSD dist. All I would have had to do was as Doug stated about the motor mounts. There are certain ones that set the block farther forward that would allow room for the large HEI.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Thats a common problem and yes a small cap/body HEI will work fine.
The problem is with the motor mounts and their position.
I run a std GM hei..no dents in the firewall
Yes I beoieve the incorrect engine mounts could be an issue..
The left and right mounts are different, get them arond the wrong way and u can have hei clearance problems and header/power sterring box problems
Also tere are a heap of diff mounts for diff models of Chev....make sure u have the right ones

The plactic cap that clips over the top of the boots has to tne shaved at the back
The rear boots JUST touch the firewall but not enough to cause any issues as the engine moves
If there are any issues with bad ht leads from the rear of the dizzy, or plugs way to wide, the spark can blow holes in the side of the boots to the firewall ...also use new boots
with nearly 200,000 miles with the hei and 21 yrs the latter issue has happened once due to wear and break down of 1 boot

To install it must be set in the std Chev factory postion to fit...vac advance piont 45* forward to the passenger side and #1 is at the front.

·
19,860 Posts
400 smallblock and HEI has almost ¼" clearance.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
bad subframe bushings will generally move the distributor closer to the firewall

·
19,860 Posts
Yes, light weight springs and glass hood.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I run a std GM hei..no dents in the firewall
Yes I beoieve the incorrect engine mounts could be an issue..
The left and right mounts are different, get them arond the wrong way and u can have hei clearance problems and header/power sterring box problems
Also tere are a heap of diff mounts for diff models of Chev....make sure u have the right ones...
Any insight as to which mounts, part numbers??, would give someone some additional clearance?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
If you search "HEI fit" here, and then wade through all the threads that come up, it has been discussed many times. Generally, I recall it being the lower-performance frame stands and mounts (base V8).

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I have the orginal mounts knacked but stored away...
Being in NZ and a lot of Aussie stuff intechangable etc, I just took my orginal ex factory mounts down to the GM aussie/USA spare shop and matched them up
I cant look at the orginals to give u the part numbers...most of my parts are stored in my workshop in another city 100 miles away now.
It was nearly 20yrs ago I replaced the orginal, then replaced again about 18 months ago. the new replacements didnt have left/right marked, took a gess , got it wrong ...noticed as dropping the engine in, I have cast rams horns and they where not going to clear the steering box.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts