Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a HEI type distributor with the "built in" coil, lets say for a guage, the "PERTRONICS FLAME THROWER" clear the firewall and fit in a '67 - 327 Camaro without modifications? Dan

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
it should, as long as you have the 327/307 frame and engine mounts. it sits farther forward than the 350/302 mounting arrangement does. maybe try a junkyard distributor in there first before you commit to buying one.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a stock '67 327/275. Looks like I have 3/4"-1" to the firewall with the stock cap. The new Mallory "Street Performance 8548201C" Goes for $159 with coil, is a nice set-up and the price is right. Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would especially like to hear from all that have installed the larger cap HEI with a small block '67 or '68 Camaro. Actual installs are a bit better than "Should fit", or good guesses. Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
396 Posts
I used the small body unit froms Dave'. It is the stck size so fitting is not a problem.

I researched this before I did mine and found about 80% of the hei installs had to dent the firewall.

·
Registered
671 Posts
hey, i have a 68 camaro convert, bought bb frame mounts from ricks 1st gen, and have a dart intake and i have more than enough rooom for my large stock hei cap!! and i did not have to clearence anything, i have pics, how do i put them in a response!!
Jake

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RickB1B:
I used the small body unit froms Dave'. It is the stck size so fitting is not a problem.

I researched this before I did mine and found about 80% of the hei installs had to dent the firewall.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Second on Dave's. I like the fact that I can use readily available parts to service it and it looks like the stock unit. He even polished it up nice and purdy for me. Check http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com

-dnult

·
Registered
417 Posts
I HAD a GM HEI in my 350 '69 Camaro. It rubbed against the firewall and the factory cowl induction air cleaner. I didn't like the fit AT ALL. I even put a small spacer under the trans mount to give me a little clearance at the firewall. Don't hammer in your firewall to get clearance as I did because it is solid behind there and you wont get much clearance. Now I've got to FIX those dents I made
. I've got my subframe out now, but when I go back with a dist., I already have an MSD billet and 6AL to go in it. My 2 cents,
Guy

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes it will fit. I have 68 with a 327 and i had all kind of problems with my old stock dis. I pulled one off a 76 bue and it droped right in. You will need to get rid of the plastic wireing harness on the back firewall but thats it. good luck

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your replies. I spoke with a rep at Mallory. He was more against the probability of a ez fit. He suggested a Mallory UniLite with a nice oil filled canister coil. He said this set up is grenade proof. I know of all the MSD guys out there that might disagree or a small number of Mallory guys that will also, but from previous experience with the UniLite, Iv'e had outstanding results with it. Remember guys...Mallory has been building these things for ever! And I'm 46. Plus, he said the UniLite has had improvements over the model I had in 1980. I decided to buy one. No spendy stuff needed to run this beautiful sparker. Dist. , coil....done. Dan

·
Registered
58 Posts
Go with the pertronix. It went in mine fine and the improvement was noticeable. I have the original block 67 327/210 hp with mods.

------------------
67 Coupe 327
Edelbrock performer package, ported 305 heads w/ 1.94/1.5 valves, summit 1.5 roller rockers, TH350, Pertronix ignition, Hotchkis suspension & sway bar, Dynomax headers and exhaust, Cowl hood

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Yep! It'll fit, I put an HEI right out of a 78 camaro in my 68 with 327 mounts with no problems whatsoever.
Donnie

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
But remember looking at mine Donnie? Doesn't look like one would fit on mine & I have a 327 with stock mounts. There's been alot of discussion on why they will fit in some camaros & not others with the same setup.

------------------
Steve
67 396 race car project
67 SS 396,4-sp mothballed for resto
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350, under current resto
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars

·
19,864 Posts
my 68 had a 6 banger originally but had a 350(very tired) in it when I bought it.I do not know what frame mounts are in it ( bolted and weld in before I owned)and I droped a 406ci SBC(energy motormounts) in it w/ HEI,I have about 1/4" from the firewall and no hammer marks.

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
[email protected] W/ 2.73POSI.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I decided that instead of using HEI like i was planning that i would use an MSD pro Billet "ready to run" distributor and oil filled blaster II coil. We'll see how that works, i wont have any clearance problems. I really dont want to have to "clearance" my firewall.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What about clearance when putting in a big block ? Previous motor was a 350 and everyone keeps telling me that I will have to tap the firewall in. That is not an option as it has to look as good as it runs. Anybody ever smoothed their firewall ? Those look really sharp.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
o.k., heres another one. my first camaro, orig 6 cyl, changed to a 283, got smallblock mounts from a 70 ish nova, hei fit w/o problems. current camaro, orig 327 car, hei fit again w/o problems. i have heard of it going the other way, though. both times for me, it didn't look like it would fit, but it did. it's tight though, not a whole lot of extra room, but no contact. now i run an msd pro billet, and it fits like a glove! good luck

1 - 20 of 24 Posts