Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the camaros.net and am I glad to find this forum. Back in October I got a 1967 camaro convertible for my 50th birthday! As you could imagine I was elated. It has a 396 BB. Now for the issue..... I drove it about a dozen times last year no issues. I then drove it this spring and was approaching a stoplight and it died. When I say died I mean died.... no power whatsoever including any type of lights. I let the car sit for 5-10 minutes then it started. Drove it back home and went to pull in the garage and it died again with no power. Turn the key nothing at all again including lights... I replaced the horn relay then replaced the ignition switch and ignition harness.... ran great for about 3 days and then it happened again.. it is dead as a door nail and I have no clue where to go from here... any advice would be helpful...only thing I can think of is the MSD ignition Box and that’s the only thing I can think of.... thanks guys in advance for any solutions offered....

PD

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,502 Posts
Welcome David, that's a tough one. First thing I'd check is the junction block on the radiator support behind the battery. There'll be a wire coming off the positive battery terminal that goes to the junction block. Do you have a wiring diagram ? I'd follow that wire, checking with a voltmeter.

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,429 Posts
Welcome From Texas! My first thought is to check and clean the battery cables at the battery. Then the positive cable at thew starter. Good things to verify they are clean and tight. One of the small wires came off my starter and there was nothing. You could check into those wires as well.

Brett.....

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Check that the main wiring harness at the firewall is secure and the bolt that holds the interior part (fuse block) to the engine compartment side is secure

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
Bypass the MSD and run on coil only.

Reactions: flat tire

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Seems to me that the issue lies between the horn relay and the junction block on the fire wall. Engine running then just dying tells me it lost power from where the alternator feeds to the battery to the ignition switch which should be the horn relay. If you had only lost power from the battery, the alternator would have kept the engine supplied with power. You say you just changed out the harness and it lasted for 3 days before this occurred again. Look to what wasn't replaced by the harness. Was the bulkhead block part of the harness change out or not? If not, check to see that the mount screws on the inside are tight. If it still hasn't got any interior lights. Turn the interior lights on and manipulate the bulkhead block by trying to rock or twist it to see if power is restored. It's possible that there is a loose connection.. If the above gets you power.. unscrew and pull the connector. Spray with some electronics cleaner then re-assemble and check for power again.

If you have a clip on power detector light check that the terminal marked Batt on the bulkhead has power. If not, check the wire feeding to the block on the firewall that it has power going to the just prior to it landing in the block. If not trace back to horn relay checking at half distant intervals to find i you've got a broken wire internally of the insulation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much guys for the suggestion on what to look for.... sounds like a busy weekend but I’m ready to get her on the road again.... I will update my findings and thanks so much again....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts