Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here. Hope to get some valuable info and make some new friends. I have a question, how much HP is too much for a cruiser? I am going to look at a 1968 Camaro to buy. The body, paint and interior looks nice in the photos and the engine looks gorgeous but the guy advertises it as "needs finishing". The engine is a brand new 383 stroker with 500hp (never been driven). The trans is a brand new TH350 Stage 2 Short Tail. Also has Hotchkis Sport Suspension 80015 TVS system for 1967-1969 Camaro and twin fan aluminum radiator and Flowtech headers. The engine and trans are in but the drive shaft is to short because he changed the trans. So he says it needs a drive shaft and the radiator installed and it will be ready to go.

My question is, after I put it all together is the 500hp going to be too much for driving around. He didn't say what size rear is in the car.

Thanks for any feedback,
Rusty

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I'm sure I'll be a lone voice, but that is too much for a "cruiser". If you need that for "cruising" then it really means street racing. I've got a puny 327/210hp and when I cruise that's just fine. Now, if you want to take it the strip, 500hp seems anemic :)

·
Registered
781 Posts
Rusty, is that 500 crank or RWHP ... and the bigger question you should be asking is how much torque is too much ??
Since your only running a 383 SBC what you'll want to do is bring it up to the highest HP that is still 'streetable' and drives nice and that is proper cam, 10.5:1 CR etc ... and since your torque is limited to the 383 cubes you'll be fine. In a nutshell your not going to be anywhere near too much HP with that motor

'Most' people get into too much HP when you start getting over 500 rear wheel torque

Cheers
Steve

Reactions: RustyC

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Too much HP....:noway:

A girl too pretty, too much money....:noway:
Sounds like a country song:disco:

Hey Rusty, welcome to TC:thumbsup:

Fact is if it is in your blood, you will be chasing HP for the rest of your life! An add-on here, a tweek there lol. I am running a 572 that will be pushing 800HP at the crank. For me the chase started around 5 years old when I got my first mini bike. I remember turning the screws on the carb and messing it all up for dad to fix. And when he asked me if I touched that screw, the answer was always "no dad, I didn't touch it" lol It has been pretty much down hill from there.........:beers:

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
500 hp . I wish I had more. mine dynode at 532/511 at the flywheel. mine is quit streetable .
as stated above there is a horse power regulator on the floor

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
I would take a good look at the cam. Too aggressive and it will be no fun for cruising. Given that the car is not running ask for the receipts for the engine build and review them carefully. How does he know it is 500 hp? Was it dyno'd? How flat is the torque curve?

Don

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I would be concerned how that 383 got to 500hp. What's the cam? What's the compression? What kind of gas does it need? Was this a mass-marketed rebuilt engine or built by an engine shop? The last question goes to durability and quality of parts. To predetermine streetability, you absolutely need to know the answers to these questions.

It is likely that engine has high compression, a big, lumpy cam, and makes all of its power over 3500 rpm. Engines like this need 3.73 gears and up and transmissions with high stall speeds. The T-350 has a final drive of 1:1. The end result, is terrible gas mileage and a car that will be unfriendly on the highway.

If you want to cruise around town, spin the tires every once and a while, have long term reliability, and go for weekend trips to the mountains, 350 hp is plenty.

BTW, a driveshaft from a Camaro or Nova with a small block and a T-350, Powerglide, or Muncie will fit your car.

·
13,741 Posts
More important then PEAK hp is where the power is in the RPM range?

I see guys all the time bragging on how much power they have on a dyno. Then they get spanked by guys with 100-150 hp less. It's easy yo build a motor to get a big number for dyno bragging.

It's power across the band that counts. An engine with 600 hp at 7000 rpm may be weak on the low side and really how much do you drive at 7000 rpm?

I'm more interested in low and midrange torque #s. Need to consider how you're going to use the car and take in to account gearing and other factors to make it all work.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The key is to have the bottom end as soft as you can get it without spinning the tires, hence the reason I run a 114 lsa.my power band is 3,000-6500. It still has traction issues with the polyglas tires. Torque is what gets the car moving and is what you feel in the seat of your pants

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the welcome. Most of you seem to think it will not be too much HP. I don't know a lot of automatic transmission talk. What does it mean if someone has stall converter? 1971ls6 mentioned a 114 lsa and a power band to keep the wheels from spinning. What is that?

Also, will a rear end from a 327/210hp work with a 383/510hp?

Thank you guys!

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
I'm new here. Hope to get some valuable info and make some new friends. I have a question, how much HP is too much for a cruiser? I am going to look at a 1968 Camaro to buy. The body, paint and interior looks nice in the photos and the engine looks gorgeous but the guy advertises it as "needs finishing". The engine is a brand new 383 stroker with 500hp (never been driven). The trans is a brand new TH350 Stage 2 Short Tail. Also has Hotchkis Sport Suspension 80015 TVS system for 1967-1969 Camaro and twin fan aluminum radiator and Flowtech headers. The engine and trans are in but the drive shaft is to short because he changed the trans. So he says it needs a drive shaft and the radiator installed and it will be ready to go.

My question is, after I put it all together is the 500hp going to be too much for driving around. He didn't say what size rear is in the car.

Thanks for any feedback,
Rusty
That is a very subjective question. To some a 500HP 383 might be considered mild. Others might think it is too radical. First off have you ever owned a high performance car?

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
I have had a 1964 Fury 383 4 speed and a 1968 Firebird 400.
That's good, you have some experience with older cars. If it does make 500HP it will have a fairly lumpy cam. If it has a stock converter you will need to change it. Power brakes may a bit of an issue at low speed in a parking lot. Your car should have an 8.2" rear. With a few aftermarket parts they can handle a bit of abuse. I have friends running 12.0's and little quicker with modified 8.2's.

Unfortunately, you can't test drive it but you can ask the owner for the following:
1. Cam specifications or manufacturer and part number.
2. Converter information. Diameter, manufacturer and stall range?
3. Rear end information. What gear ratio? Stock axles? Posi?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts