Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
16 years ago, My 69 Camaro was stolen by the shop that was building it. I showed up one day to check out the progress and the shop was empty. The guy bailed on his shop, family, everything. I was able to locate my car a few years later through a tip from a guy that worked at the shop. I got the shell back and it has sat in my garage - until now...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
Love to hear more of your story on this one.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Jim - Happy ending or did you have to pay the jack-wagon to get the shell back and how much had been stripped off of her?

Welcome to TC we stand by ready with advice and wrenches :) What are you plans for her - restoration, resto-mod or pro?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The shop that stole my car was co-owned by the wife and her parents. Apparently, They were the money, He was the worker. They partially settled the debt by giving me his 67 bagged Suburban. which I still have. I was told the car was in a barn and the general area. It was in the first place I looked. People were home but they didn't come out. I called a buddy with a ramp truck and waited until he got there. It was missing everything in front of the cowl.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
There are lots of slimy folks out there. Good luck on getting it on the road.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Welcome, Jim! Sorry to hear about your story, but at least you got it back. I'm sure you would love 10 minutes behind the wood shed with this guy.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
16 years ago, My 69 Camaro was stolen by the shop that was building it. I showed up one day to check out the progress and the shop was empty. The guy bailed on his shop, family, everything. I was able to locate my car a few years later through a tip from a guy that worked at the shop. I got the shell back and it has sat in my garage - until now...
Welcome Jim,

That's a sad story about your car, but now that you have it back and are ready to get going on it you've got a great team here to help you. Looking forward to following your progress!

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Welcome Jim. I'm sure it has been an emotional roller coaster with lots more down than up, although on the plus side, you now have the major basis of an appreciated (in value) 69 Camaro from which to build your dream car!

Just out of curiosity, what was the original drivetrain and style trim?

Any chance you are considering a more modern drivetrain such as an LSX and maybe T56?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Started life as a Cortez Silver, Parchment vinyl top, SS350 with Blue standard interior -- I purchased a sculpture of a Camaro in 1996 for $2500

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Great you got her back...welcome!

·
14,267 Posts
You're on your way to a happy ending

I always tell guys to get insurance on their cars even if they are project cars. The collector insurance companies offer it and it only cost a couple hundred bucks a year.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Started life as a Cortez Silver, Parchment vinyl top, SS350 with Blue standard interior -- I purchased a sculpture of a Camaro in 1996 for $2500
A good start for sure. What ideas do you currently have for the new drivetrain? Budget?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts