Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey hows it going everyone? yep i am new here but not new to the world of camaros. i have been raised around them since i was little.. see

lol.. well i am in the middle of restoring a 69 camaro thats been with my family since i was 5 and is now mine.. its well on its way i already finished the drive train and am left with dealing with rotted out metal from a vinyl roof.. Oh Joy! main reasons I hit the net about the car is i wanted to know how bad i would be if i ditched the vinyl all together. sure enought the vinyl was not the original color anyhow. it was black and is suppose to be parchement (white). still lost on what i should do but i got plenty of time to decide..

also my family are car freaks.. and have what looks like a used car lot in our drive way so i know more then just the camaros.. infact i also know quite a lot about the GM-W-body also..

three people live in this house

also i am currently residing in carlisle pa.. what a great place to restore an old camaro.. i live 10 minutes from the car show fairgrounds and pretty much surrounded by car folk all the time.. if you have any questions about the area feel free to ask. hope to see ya at the GM show coming up soon..

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Welcome Bill! I am a native Carlislian (actually closer to Newville, but...) as is my wife. With the description you gave and from the pictures, I think I know generally where your place is; looks like close to my in-laws in North Middleton.

If that hole on the leading edge of the roof is as bad as it looks, ouch! I really like 69s with a vinyl, depending on the color combo, but you should do what makes you happy. Looks like you may need a donor roof, or at least some good patching. I have been out of touch with who is doing good work in the area there, but I still have plenty of friends at home to ask if you need references.

Good luck and see you here!

Eric

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome Bill! I am a native Carlislian (actually closer to Newville, but...) as is my wife. With the description you gave and from the pictures, I think I know generally where your place is; looks like close to my in-laws in North Middleton.

If that hole on the leading edge of the roof is as bad as it looks, ouch! I really like 69s with a vinyl, depending on the color combo, but you should do what makes you happy. Looks like you may need a donor roof, or at least some good patching. I have been out of touch with who is doing good work in the area there, but I still have plenty of friends at home to ask if you need references.

Good luck and see you here!

Eric
hows it going eric.. actually i am in west pennsboro and i went to high school in newville so i know where ya at..

believe it or not i kinda picture the car more with the white vinyl then the black anyhow just to give it that cruiser look. there are three really bad holes in it and they are all right up against the front and rear windows..

once i get these headaches out of my way i will be getting the body all ready and prep'd for paint.. the ones in the back won't be much of a problem once i get the rear window out cuz the chrome will cover most of the work done.. the front one will take alot of work to get the curve just right.. i have alot of experience working on body work on tractor trailers but i really haven't dealt with real body curves yet so i am kinda scared to play with the front one.. if you have any pointers please let me know even though more then likely i might just take it to a shop.. new metal is a must.

also i do have a few connections myself my father was the store manager of the carlisle autozone for the past 6 years and just stepped down to a part time spot since he got a government job on the NC depot. i am sure he knows some one for almost anything i may need.

Welcome to Team Camaro
thanks doug glad to be here..

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Welcome to the board :thumbsup:
...as you said, ...you're sure in the right place to find parts. As for putting the vinyl back on? ...I would if it's original, ...but that's just me.
Especially since you said the car has been in the family for so long, ...if you have any doc's, etc. For a short time when I was putting my car back tongether I thought about leaving the vinyl off. I decided to put it back on since it was original, ...and I have not regretted it one bit (photo linked in sig).

Kevin

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the board :thumbsup:
...as you said, ...you're sure in the right place to find parts. As for putting the vinyl back on? ...I would if it's original, ...but that's just me.
Especially since you said the car has been in the family for so long, ...if you have any doc's, etc. For a short time when I was putting my car back tongether I thought about leaving the vinyl off. I decided to put it back on since it was original, ...and I have not regretted it one bit (photo linked in sig).

Kevin

Thanks Kevin... and as far as the docs go, when he got it he really never though about keeping such a thing at the time it was just another camaro to my father. he owned like 3 different 69 camaros before this one.. he was in the army and would end up selling them half the time.. but this one he kept for some reason... and more then likey now since i have been lookin round the site and the net i am leaning more to keeping the vinyl...

btw nice ride.. 68 and it also has the RS front end.. right

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Cool! I saw the radio tower and thought NM, but I always forget about the one on 641. It went up after I left for Penn State, so it will always be the "new" tower to me...

Those holes are going to be fun to fix. If the structure underneath is ok, you may get away with patches, but... the problem is going to be making sure there is absolutely no place to trap more moisture in the patch. They are common rust locations, so we may have some hints here in the archives. I'll post links if I find any.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Welcome to the crew, Bill, from north of the border, across the lake from ya.

And yeppers...the auto's in your system big time.:thumbsup:

Do have a few questions, but will post at a later date.

capt

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site.:beers:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool! I saw the radio tower and thought NM, but I always forget about the one on 641. It went up after I left for Penn State, so it will always be the "new" tower to me...

Those holes are going to be fun to fix. If the structure underneath is ok, you may get away with patches, but... the problem is going to be making sure there is absolutely no place to trap more moisture in the patch. They are common rust locations, so we may have some hints here in the archives. I'll post links if I find any.
thanks i live on the north side of the I-76 turn pike (i can see the turn pike from across the my road that runs beside the pike) but you got the area.. lol

I am going to try and see what i can find on here.. if you find any pass it along... you may find something i didn't and the help is more then welcome.. thanks!

Welcome to the crew, Bill, from north of the border, across the lake from ya.

And yeppers...the auto's in your system big time.:thumbsup:

Do have a few questions, but will post at a later date.

capt
bring them on.. i am ready to give answers lol

Hello and welcome to the site.:beers:
thanks for the welcome! redfox

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Welcome Bill from the rainy Pacific NW that hasn't seen the sun in weeks and is tired of rain ,rain's 10 months a year well this year anyway ,Not like Iowa though ,Wow thoes poor folks...Enjoy Happy Motoring

1 - 13 of 13 Posts