Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

Dean here from Australia, just came across this site while researching info on camaros and have started to read through the many posts that will hopefully help me make the right choice when buying my first camaro.

Couple of questions firstly. What sites are best to look for cars for sale in the US.

Secondly to properly ID a 1st gen what is needed? trim tag, vin number or both?

Also I have come across a US site offering replacement trim tags......is this LEGAL and if so surely this is frowned upon by the purists?

Last of all any other Aussies here?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Hello Dean..
Welcome to Team Camaro.

Q1 - ebay and craigslist seem to have a good selection and good search engine, but has just as many scammers as honest sellers. Buyer beware.
Any site that welcomes car enthusists and has member forums is ussually a good place to look.
Depending on your flavor, check out places like: www.Musclecar.com www.camaros.com www.chevelles.com www.corvettes.com

Q2 - Properly, you would look for VIN, POP, TRIMTAG, BuildSheet (also known as broadcast sheet), Dealer sticker.
Very few 1st gens have it all, and if they do they're out of my price range.
There are several hidden VINs on 1st gen Camaros which are also important to verify.
If you can't find all of the above, a VIN, TT and POP can help determine the other info.

Q3 - www.trimtags.com does sell replacement TT and VIN plates.
This is a tricky area, if you contact them, they will tell you that reproducing and selling Trimtags is not illegal, but attaching them to a different car is fraud.

Q4 - yes, Team Camaro has lots of Aussies, and Yanks, and Brits, and Canucks, and you get the idea.
Team Camaro is the best Camaro club on the internet, and we're all one big happy family.

Remember, siblings don't always agree, but they'll be the first to ask for pics of your Camaro!

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Hello and welcome to this site. :beers:

·
Super Moderator
32,360 Posts
Welcome from the Beach! Newby Aussies buy the first round of Foster's.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Welcome to Team Camaro Dean. Good luck on finding your dream car. As already stated......search the car sites for a Camaro, but do beware of the scammers that frequent these sites. You can pick out the fraudulent ads, by the asking price of the car. If the asking price is too good to be true, it's a scam. Happy hunting! :waving:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the welcome guys.
Thanks for the info Tony and also for sharing the pics of your 68 build via your web page. Its good to see that no matter how bad the rust you can get replacement panels to revive these old classics.

Everret: No self respecting Aussie would drink Forsters thats why we EXPORT it ALL to you guys:yes: :beers:

Still plenty to look at on ths site, but anyone care to share thier fav Camaro links.
Attach is a pic of my current project. For those that dont know its a
1976 Holden (GM) Torana SS Hatchback

·
Registered
979 Posts

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Welcome from the Beach! Newby Aussies buy the first round of Foster's.
Welome from Across the pond m8...Aussie can buy All the drinks

No Mad max was a 70 or 71 Aussie Ford Falcon Coupe

' We should start a thread on Monaros m8..I dont think most of the Yanks here realise just how good...better the HK/HT Monaros could out perform the Camaros ...shame Aussie GM didnt include BBs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tony
Steps is correct that the coupe Mad Max drove was a Ford of early 70s similar to the one below

And this one is what Steps is Talking about when refering to Early Aussie Monaros

Hope you guys dont mind me showing pics of some aussie cars. The Monaros around this model were exported to South Africa as Chev Chevelles I believe. Some have been Imported back into Aus recently as the price of good early Monaros has gone up.

I have a lot to learn inregards to the Camaros as I have noticed a wide range of prices.
Out of interest does anyone produce/publish a price guide for 1st gens?

I have my eye on a car that is in transit by one of the importers here. If someone has the time I will email them a link just to get an opinion of US value for the car and any other comments about it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Dean, welcome.

I am from Melb, my 68 arrived in Oz late last week. Bought it off eBay...was very cautious and spent lots of time researching....very happy with it.

Nice Torry

Rgds
Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey chris can you fill me in on the story of your Camaro ie who transported, where did you buy it from (location) Etc etc value etc etc any thing you can think off that I may need to know.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Dean,

Used Auto Ezy Search in Bayswater to bring it in $3300 + GST of the car (ie 10% of the value you pay for the car). They literally do everything for you...you just drop the money in their account and pick up teh car when it arrives...could not be happier. George runs it - great guy. http://www.autoezysearch.com/

I paid $9K US for my car. Probably a bit more than it is worth but I knew what I was getting and had done my research. My car is running with full interior, but has had new qtrs all round, new floor, new boot floor etc installed (still in primer). Needs new door skins. Other than that no rust and all straight...which was important as my project is highly custom, with all new running gear (literally everything), new chassis, new suspension, new brakes, new custom dash and console, all new seats etc etc...so what i was after was a clean rust free straight shell and was prepared to pay extra to know what i was getting.

AUD $16K total including all shipping costs to get it to my house. Bought it in Nov with Xmas it took a little longer to get here (ie late Feb).

PM me if you want more info, happy to share any additional details.

Rgds
Chris

·
Registered
235 Posts
sorry, my car was in Florida, found it on eBay but talked to the owner a lot...spent almost a year searching eBay, this site, craigslist mainly for the right car

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yeah we drink coopers Pale Ale :p

I'm in Melb here. Restoring factory SS/RS 325 HP 68 Camaro.

Cheers MJ

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi HJ

Whats the story with your car mate....Details..... Details where, when etc etc
I got mine about 3 years ago (where's the time go). It took me 18 months befor my mate started work. I've got a mate in Lilydale working on it. I purchased the car from him and he purchased it from a mate of his. The story is, the car was stripped in 1984 to be rebuilt and it never happened. So 20 years later I purchased it.

It's a factory SS/RS with the 325 HP 396 Big Block. Options include, split fold rear seat, tilt column, deluxe interior and full instrument centre consol. The car has had two new quarters installed and we are currently trying to make the replacment RS lights fit. The car had been damaged when first purchased and was supplied with a new GM SS bonnet, 68 Guard & 67 Guard (Still dont know which is which as the badge holes have been welded up. I''ll post a few pics if you like.

MJ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts