Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone,
I just bought a Camaro yesterday so I figured this would be a good place to find out more information about my car, who sells hard to find parts and perhaps get a little advice (or Laughs) on how to tell my wife I bought the car.

Late yesterday, I got a wild hair up my a* to look at this 64 GTO I kept seeing in the window of this exotic car lot on my daily drive to work. When I arrived there was immediate bad news, "the car was sold yesterday". Well, since I left work early to look at this car I decide to browse for a while, what man could help himself right?. This particular car place has some of the sweetest rides to ever grace the pavement. From Ferrari, Maserati and Vipers to Saleen, Camaros and Chevelles. This place was a candy store for men with bad habits and expensive tastes. Before leaving the salesman mentioned that he had this super clean 67 RS SS that wasn't in the show room because it was having the SS stripes painted on the hood and truck. I hopped in my truck and followed this salesman over to the paint shop and within 10 minutes, buying this ultra sweet Camaro was a done deal.
I pick the car up on Monday morning after the paint has cured.
Now for the bad part.
My wife has no idea I bought the car and I couldn't get myself to tell her last night. Like most women, she thinks I spend too much money on toys and personal hobbies than I should. She thinks all extra money should be spent on our retirement property in the Reno NV area.

Last year we attended the Hot August Nights in Reno NV. Ever since then, a little voice in my head keeps telling me I need a new hot rod. Now, since I'm self employed I guess I could tell her the company paid for the car but since I own the company that doesn't always fly. If I have to sleep on the couch or with the dog for a couple weeks till the heat blows over it will all be worth it in the end.

I will post some pics when I get her home next week.

Rich

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Welcome. Post some pics when you get them. We'd love to see them. Good luck telling your wife. Mine would be none too pleased if I tried to keep that secret from her.
There's a ton of information to be learned on this site and at the Camaro Research Group. http://www.camaros.org/

Enjoy your car.

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Hey Rich...Welcome, great story for your first post... Sounds like you stopped in at Speciality sales....Tell the wife, no biggie, :rolleyes:, just tell her all of your other cars go down in value, this one will go up in value...;) Anyway, welcome to the team! Where abouts are you in the Bay Area? There are lots of great members located around the bay. Like Steve mentioned....pictures!! :D

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Congrats on the car, but you really should have run it past the wife first. I don't know your wife, but I know mine would be seriously pissed if I spent that kind of money without discussing it first.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A quick update: I couldn't take her not knowing about the car and even more, my not knowing exactly how mad she might be when she found out. So I got some stones and called her at work to discussed the purchase.
Suprisingly she was receptive to the idea, all she said was "if that's what I wanted then she would go along with it".
She did ask if I paid for the car before I bothered asking if it was ok, the truth was I hadn't paid for the car. I only put down a deposit until the paint was completed and I picked it up Monday. So I was truthful.

Zuma, yes Specialty Sales is the car lot and since you know the place you must know what unbelievable cars the have in stock.
I live in Concord and my work is on Mare Island (Vallejo).
Thank you everyone for the replies.

Rich

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Hey Rich, nice save with the wife! I'm sure she could hear the passion in your voice and given it wasn't for another woman, looks like you scored! Welcome to the site which you will undoubtably find as a great resource for Camaros and relationship advise, when needed. Charlie

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Hello and welcome and the 1st. generation camaros are the best.:beers:

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Welcome Rich and what a great story! You might want to make a reservation to a nice restaurant this Saturday evening with a great bottle of wine (if you like wine, we do) and tell her how something special has happened that you believe will be great for the two of you and then tell her. Something like it had to be special to communicate, etc..... Your in the danger zone on this so prepare well Rich! Post some pictures as stated several times and let us know how it goes. We can always learn from real life experiences.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Welcome Rich to the Team! Congrats on your purchase. Great story! It sounds like a real twist of fate ending up with the 67 RS/SS Camaro. Can't wait to see those pictures. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Nice car Rich ,glad she took it well ,been there with a couple cars I bought ,she took them well ….Good luck and have fun with you friend and Happy Motoring

·
Registered
163 Posts
I did just the opposite when buying my car, sort of. I was wanting to restore a Cosworth Vega (had one when I was a kid) and after the wife and I looked at one in Sacramento (what a piece of crap it was) she said, why don't you go ahead and go look at that Camaro :yes:

I guess she didn't want that junk-pile sitting in the driveway for the next couple of years :yes:

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
... I live in Concord and my work is on Mare Island (Vallejo).
Thank you everyone for the replies.

Rich

Another local :thumbsup:

Welcome to the Team, I'm sure you'll find the guys here easy to get along with - at least the ones that really like 'wind-wings' ;)
Makes me miss my old 'K' coded 67 - sorta ... :D

John

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Last night we talked about the car, I showed her pictures from the dealers website. We agreed it would be fun to drive our own car to Hot August Nights this year.
She was pretty happy about meeting new friends and going to some local classic car rally too.

Everything worked out for the best. :beers:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Last night we talked about the car, I showed her pictures from the dealers website. We agreed it would be fun to drive our own car to Hot August Nights this year.
She was pretty happy about meeting new friends and going to some local classic car rally too.

Everything worked out for the best. :beers:
AWESOME!

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Welcome to the site! That's a great looking car, hope to see it in person at Hot August Nights. :D

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
welcome to the site! I'm hoping my 67 is finished in time for hot august nights :sad:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts