Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Team Camaro members!!

I’ve been checking out this site for a while and all the knowledge and willingness to help on here is amazing. I have chronicled my Camaro experience below. Please forgive me for being long-winded.

My sad story began in 1997. Fresh out of high school, I was looking for a car to take over for my dying 1985 Subaru. One day, while cruising through the back roads of my hometown, I saw something that made my heart skip a beat. It was a 1967 Camaro SS, blue with white rally stripes. I hadn’t looked at Camaros before but after seeing that one, I was hooked. I talked to the owner of the car for about 3 months before he decided to sell for $3000. So I took all my cash from working at Burger King the last two years, borrowed a little from my dad and bought the car.

Well, needless to say, it needed some work. The inside smelled musty and moldy, the car would die at a stop sign if I didn’t constantly feather the gas, and the paint was cracking in some places. Seeing that the extent of my automotive knowledge was how to do an oil change and air filter, I didn’t realize I was in over my head. And my meager Burger King budget wasn’t going to cut it, especially with college costs right around the corner.

After about two weeks of ownership, it finally broke down. And about a month after that I got the ultimatum from my dad, get it running or get rid of it. So my dad and I towed it to a mechanic and realized it was going to be a ton of work/money to get it running again. I was still ready to tow it home and try to sell it when my dad pulled a move that I have never let him live down.

My dad had put out the word that a Camaro was for sale and someone had been interested. The guy met us at the mechanic’s shop and offered us $500. My dad then decided to let me know that the car wasn’t welcome back home anymore. In other words, take the $500. I begrudgingly signed the pink slip over.

Fast forward to the present and my passion for old Camaros hasn’t died at all. But now I have the space and money to finally make it a reality again. So hopefully one day in the future I will be able to get another Camaro and with this forum’s help, make it the car I always wanted.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Welcome! This is a great place to meet folk with a wealth of information and willing to help out.
Where on the Central Coast? You were lucky to drive around and find that car. And then to have your dad give you that ultimatum... words can't describe the feeling there. Does he not know the value of these things? Someone just ripped you off. Sorry to hear that. Enough of the bad memories, time to move on. On the plus side you've seen what others have had to work with and you'll have an idea for what to look for. Prices have come down a bit with the economy the way it has been. I don't even want to think about the times when I purchased mine! Ouch.

Robert

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Welcome to Team CAMARO :thumbsup:

As far as 'the one that got away' ... I think nearly everyone on here has, at least, one of those unfortunate episodes in our 'Camaro' past :(
Many of us have been in the fortunate position of getting a great deal a time or two also ;)

... My dad had put out the word that a Camaro was for sale and someone had been interested. The guy met us at the mechanic’s shop and offered us $500. My dad then decided to let me know that the car wasn’t welcome back home anymore. In other words, take the $500. I begrudgingly signed the pink slip over.
Oh - and the guy who bought it has probably been on here with a "Guess what I bought for $500" thread also :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Welcome to Team Camaro!

I as well as others have had the "One that got away" story to. So your not alone in that part of your story.

Ya never know one of us might have a project camaro sitting around you might look around the classifieds here.

Plenty of topics and cars to be found in and around California, as well as other parts of the US.

Good luck hope you find one again.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,193 Posts
Welcome to TC! Like John said there is a good chance that the guy that purchased your car for $500 is on here :)
Good luck on your search for another first gen. Just don't fall for the '69, everyone knows it is not TRULY a first gen Camaro. More like version 1.5, only 67-68 are real first gens :stirpot:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to TC! Like John said there is a good chance that the guy that purchased your car for $500 is on here :)
Good luck on your search for another first gen. Just don't fall for the '69, everyone knows it is not TRULY a first gen Camaro. More like version 1.5, only 67-68 are real first gens :stirpot:
I agree with you 100%. Not even considering '69. But there is some crazy love for them out there.

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Bill, Bill, Bill.....not this again...:clonk: :D

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts

Wow!!!!! Bill I cant believe ya said it. Wait.... i own a 67 camaro , 68 camaro and a 70 c-20 hmmm no 69

ya might be right did they make anything in 69??? :stirpot:

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Wow!!!!! Bill I cant believe ya said it. Wait.... i own a 67 camaro , 68 camaro and a 70 c-20 hmmm no 69

ya might be right did they make anything in 69??? :stirpot:
LOL, I used to own a 67 when I was a kid...now that I have grown into a man, I own a 69...nuff said...:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts