Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really like the site, I've had several camaros in the past and sold my last one (a Bolero Red 67 RS/SS350 Convertible) 15 years ago. Also had a 67 RS coupe, 68 RS Convertible, and a few others. I'm a lifelong gearhead, and got into older stuff and started building vintage hotrods. I still have a 1937 Ford with a 350/700R4 and and 31 Ford roadster on deuce rails with a 1963 corvette 300HP 327, Offenhauser tripower, and a M21 muncie.

But, I always missed my Camaro, and a few weeks ago finally bought another 67 coupe, just a plain jane with a 350 and 4 speed that i'm doing a resto on. Thought that would scratch the itch, but apparently not as last week I bought another 67 RS Convertible project and the remains of a 69 coupe, which is nothing special other than being an X11. I'm well into the 67 coupes restoration, but may sideline it and do the convertible first. The funny thing about this 67 RS convertible is that I cut the rear deck and other parts off it 20 years ago to fix a 68 RS convertible I had at the time. Repro parts werent available then, and the poor ragtop has since been buried in a warehouse next to another 67 convertible (6cyl non RS) s with parts piled on top of them, In fact you'd never even see the cars if you didn't know they were there for the fenders and assorted junk piled on top of them. Anyway, after buying the coupe and researching parts again, I noticed all the sheetmetal and inner structure now available for convertibles. I remembered the "parts car" and called my friend, who is in his 70s now, to see if it was still there in storage. He mentioned he was cleaning stuff out and if I wanted it i'd better get it as he was taking steel to the scales and it was on the list!. I believe the original matching 327 and the rest of the RS bits are buried in the piles of stuff in the warehouse, and i'll be making many trips to get all the parts home. I'll need to do full quarters, floor pans and rear deck/inner trunk structure on the RS ragtop, but camaros are pretty refreshing to deal with compared to the rusty 1930s tin i've been fooling with lately. Still there is always more to learn and I have read some great info already on here, I only wish this forum was around years ago! I be reading quite a bit, and will offer anything I may have learned along the way.
Mike

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
... and a few weeks ago finally bought another 67 coupe, just a plain jane with a 350 and 4 speed that i'm doing a resto on.
... last week I bought another 67 RS Convertible project
... and the remains of a 69 coupe, which is nothing special other than being an X11. ...

Mike
Gee, you car buying habits remind me of someone else on the site :yes:

Sounds like you have a couple nice projects to keep you busy :thumbsup:
Loads of info and advice available on here to get you through your projects and help in understanding these vehicles.

Be sure to also visit the CRG (Camaro Research Group) at - www.camaros.org
Tons of documentation and decoding information on there.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your progress;
John

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, its my strange way of working. I think I must have ADD, because I'll get tired of wrenching on one and jump to the next one. At this point I could sleep in my garage if my family would let me. I finally started a log book for each car (including the early fords) to keep track of what I need to order or fix as time and money allows. The other problem is when i'm at work i'm parts surfing instead of working :eek:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in Ocean Springs, work in Biloxi, i'm always at cruisin the coast, the past 9 years in my 37 Ford streetrod and last year in my 31 roadster until the muncie puked (both chevy powered of course) This year I hope to be in my 67 RS convertible There were so many 1st gen camaros last year it was unreal. Thats kinda what got me missing my old ride, and got me on the trail of a replacement. CTC is alot of fun if the Biloxi police don't ruin it this year.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site.:beers:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, and with every car I do I say "i'm not starting on a car this rough ever again". Guess i'll never learn, but at least it has made me a fair TIG and Mig welder. i'll get some pics up soon, should have the floorpans finished soon on the coupe so the subframe can go back in, new steel dash is in, once I get the nose back on I'll feel like i'm getting somewhere.

can't get the convertible out of the warehouse yet, a wall was built around it that has to be torn down. can you believe it?

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Hey Neighbor,
Welcome to the site.
I am over in Fairhope AL welding and beating on mine. Any other treasures a car nut like me might need in that warehouse, i have a 69 Camaro but really like most any old iron. I travel that way for work regularly.

Would love to meet up in Biloxi this year w/ you guys, There are a few more folks on here from the Gulf COast. Might have to bring mine on the trailer:D at the rate I am going now.

-Matt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts