Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Looking fwd to enjoying my favorite hobby and machine with a new group of Camaro and Muscle car fans like myself.
Currently restoring my recently repurchased '71 Z28 (after 20+ years) ......having fun, but harder to find the time these days. Planning to have it ready for next summer, but looking for restoration tips please?
Where could I find a site for the correct colors & paints used for under-hood and undercarriage detailing? Figure since I have the engine out, I'll do the right thing.....can't wait to show it off next year!

Thanks for the help...much appreciated!
Dan

·
Registered
604 Posts
Greetings fellow Camaro enthusiast, welcome to the site.

Dan, I'm a 1st gener so hopefully some of the 2nd generation guys will chime in.

Eastwood possibly?

Keep on rockin in the free world.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Welcome to Team Camaro Dan!

As to the egg-shell black paint color... well here is why there is a difference in the correct color.

GM buys everything in bulk because they build over a million cars a year. Because of this they buy the paint they spray on said parts from a rail car sitting on a siding. From the time the car stops moving (is parked) the pigments and other contents of the car start to separate. So the correct color changes from the top of the tank to the bottom two to three days after it is parked. The other cars in the train continue to change color as they await their turn to be connected to the plant.

It is really hard to pick up a rail tank car and shake it the way you will with the rattle spray can you are going to use to paint your car. I prefer NAPA's Martin-Senour chassis black paint.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...-Colors-15-oz-Tecnique/_/R-MST7243_0006419575

All of the major manufactures of paint, PPG, DuPont, etc. all use Chevrolet's paint mix formula to make their paint to exactly match what GM originally specified for their cars.

Big Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts