Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a first gen vert and found this sight while trying to educate myself. This is a great resource and decided to go ahead and register.

I'm into the A-bodies such as the 442/gto's and had never really considered a camaro till now. I never really understood the authentication differences between the olds/pontiacs versus the chevy's.

I've looked at a couple of verts so far only to be scared away by the rust in various places such as in the trunk and on the body under the door latch (part next to "body by fisher" trim strip). My initial interest was in "clones" because I quickly learned that RS/SS are difficult to authenticate and didnt wanna pay for a real rs/ss and wind up with a clone.

I'm bracing myself and gonna look later today at a 68 rs/ss 396 vert (presumably a 325). My first move is to get vin, cowl tag, engine stamp, , 400 tag, observe heater connections, axle tube code, and leaf count. I plan to inspect rs areas and assess whether it was added or original. I'm a tad skeptical since I have learned that the engine is from a 69. I have not been offered any protect o plate, build sheet, or any other supporting documentation. In my head, I'm trying to figure out what a good ask price is for clone, and for a genuine rs/ss.

Just wanna thank everyone for the great posts/information/experiences!!! I've gotten the courage to go at least look...:)

Fred

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Welcome to Team CAMARO Fred :hurray:

Glad to hear ou could use the site to give you the courage to go look at that car - let us know how things go and be sure to post back with info (and pictures!) of what you find. We love to hear about folks quest to find a car :yes:
Lots of fellow members in the area that get together at some of the local meets and shows - hopefully we'll get to meet sometime.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Bay Area Welcome!

Its difficult to find an actual rust free car. Even the ones that seem solid end up having some sort of rot in places.

As for the 68, unless he has documentation or a #s matching motor/date matched rear its near impossible to "prove" but with what you read on this site on what to look for you can usually tell a clone versus a real car.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
welcome from Elk Grove!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Welcome from San Leandro

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Welcome from across the Bay in Pacifica! Hope you find what your looking for....:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts