Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been unable to start my 68
msd 8361/6al/blaster2

is it possible that I have my oil pump turned so that the dist won't drop in on it correctly to be in time?

I'm kinda grasping at straws, but I'm getting frustrated

I've tried flipping it 180*, but when I think I'm on TDC the rotor is pointing @ #2

thanks in advance as always

·
Registered
38 Posts
Need more info.

1. Is it getting fuel?
2. did you check your wiring to msd instructions?
3.Are you sure it's (#1cyl.)on TDC when you did the install?

If the Distributor doesn't engage the oil pump all the way it won't drop all the way.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
getting fuel
sparking like a sum beeotch

some how I think I'm off
#1 piston up the rotor points to 2 or 7

is it possible that I moved the oil pump somehow?
it only engages 2 ways so how do I get the rotor to point to #1?

on true TDC #1 both valves are closed right?

thanks as always
time to get the shadow out and clear my head

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I just use a long screwdriver to turn the gear down there so that I can set the distributor in pointing where I want it.

Every time I pull the distributor it messes up and I have to play with it to get it back where it should be.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
damn Paul, that just makes too much sense
anyone have anything complex, poorly thought out, that prob'ly won't work anyway?
:D
(reminds me of work, repairing extrusion blowmolding equipment)

I'm on it, after mowing and cooking lunch anyway

thanks!

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I have seen some guys drop the distributor in where they want it (even through it won't drop all of the way in because of the oil pump gear) and then turn the engine over until it drops in...I wouldn't try it though... :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have also seen that method.

You should be able to turn the distributor
counter clockwise to get it to fire, just to check and see. Take out the number one plug
and bump the engine over (with coil wire off!!)
while holding your thumb/finger over the plug hole. When you feel the blast of air (remember, just bump the starter) stop and look at your timing marks. At this point you can rotate the engine by hand to "0" or TDC. This will put you on TDC. Now check your rotor position in relation
to the #1 spot on the cap, it should be close. If it is you can rotate the distributor either way until it fires. If it don't check your firing order.

If the rotor is way off use Paulm's method of rotating the oil pump until your distributor drops in and points to #1

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Yep, what he said . . . just make sure it is on the compression stroke ---- the pressure WILL blow your thumb off the plug hole. I rotate the engine by hand until the timing mark is at about 10* BTDC then drop the distributor and line up the rotor and number one terminal.

The old screwdriver technique works, but I always just drop the distributor in as far as it will go and bump the starter a few times. Never had a problem doing this.

·
Registered
891 Posts
i like the screwdriver technique,just make sure the driver is long enough that if it slips off the oil pump driveshaft it wont fall below the distributor mounting surface of the manifold!
this happened to me once and the driver handle was a close fit with the dist.hole and 3/8" down.
finally had to put a drop of superglue on the fingertip and let it set up on the drifer handle,then carefully lift the screwdriver out!
what a pita!
Eric

·
Registered
107 Posts
hey fast,
i was having the same problem also. so what i did was to bump the motor til the dist. points to #1. then pull it out and turned crank to my initial timing setting, then reinstalled the dist. it drop right in, and started first time.
maybe it will work for you too.. hope this helps some. sonny

·
Registered
622 Posts
I line up no one (thumb trick) aim the rotor an inch or so behind no one then sink the distributor, the helical cut on the gears will swing the rotor towards the no one cylinder as the dist sinks... The distributor will sit 1/2 to 3/8's above the intake untill the oil shaft engages, bump the engine over with light finger pressure on the distributor and viola... Don't spend ANY amount of time trying to line up the tang...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts