Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased 4 tt2 they seem to have never been cleaned.they are to the point that they look like an old centerline satin wheel. any ideas or home remedys?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Get an aluminmum polish and try that. I had a set of nasty wheels on my truck and the metal polish cleaned off the old caked on brake dust very nicely. The chrome was a bit pitted, but they looked a lot better.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I use mothers billet polish, and microfiber towels on my TT2s to keep them clean. The key to the billet polish is to rub it in until it turns black, then wipe it clean. Clean the wheels the best you can with soap and water first. Any dirt/grit left on them will cause scratches. If you use terry towels to buff the wheels or wipe the polish off, it will make small scratches in the surface of the rim. Take your time on them. Mine have always been kept clean, and it takes me about 30 minutes to polish each wheel. I'm guessing it will probably take 2-3 hours worth of work on each wheel to bring the luster back.

·
Registered
101 Posts
1500 grit wet sanding paper dishwashing liquid soap and water.Then polish with mothers or another good brand polish. The mothers power ball works good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
tt2's are the worst for spotting and staining it seems. I have a set on my 4th gen and keep after them with regualar old mothers regularly. I've had a used set before, that were poorly cared for. In some cases you are better off just taking some steel wool and going over it to get all the pitting, and staining out, then start polishing, instead of spending hous just trying to polish all of it out. Course cut rubbing compound on a buffer will help too to get them back into shape, then polish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts