Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I changed a few things recently and decided to check my pinion angel.
My Motor/trans is pointing down in the rear 2.5 degrees.
My Drive shaft and rear diff are both currently at O degrees.

That don't seem right to me.
Anyone got a recommendation on shims?

Thanks, Cory C

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
2 degree shim. I got mine from Speedway

You could put shims between trans & mount to reduce the engine/trans angle to get it closer to 0....but a 0/0 angle???, you sure your measurements are solid?

·
Premium Member
2,474 Posts
Just to be clear, your driveshaft is down 2.5 degrees from the angle of the engine/trans or is the engine/trans down 2.5 from horizontal? Is the pinion on the rear at zero compared to the driveshaft or is it zero to horizontal?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

You could put shims between trans & mount to reduce the engine/trans angle to get it closer to 0....but a 0/0 angle???, you sure your measurements are solid?
Thank you - I actually made a few calls today and got similar advice. I ordered some calvert racing 2 degree shims. If Needed I can shim the trans mount also but I don't think and hope that wont be needed.

Something simple can get so confusing -- Thanks again

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to be clear, your driveshaft is down 2.5 degrees from the angle of the engine/trans or is the engine/trans down 2.5 from horizontal? Is the pinion on the rear at zero compared to the driveshaft or is it zero to horizontal?
I used an angle finder on the crank pulley - It shows the back of the Trans pointing down 2.5 degrees
I used same angle finder on the drive shaft and rear diff and both showed Zero.
All positions are compared to the horizon - Car is at ride height

·
Premium Member
4,896 Posts

0/0 is not good. U-joints like about 2* to work properly.

Reactions: Arkangel77

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
0/0 is not good. U-joints like about 2* to work properly.
I agree 100% , the front U joint has that 2.5 degree and after I add the shims to the rear it will be at 2 degrees. I am hoping all will be good after that

·
Premium Member
2,474 Posts
I used an angle finder on the crank pulley - It shows the back of the Trans pointing down 2.5 degrees
I used same angle finder on the drive shaft and rear diff and both showed Zero.
All positions are compared to the horizon - Car is at ride height
OK So, both angles are compared to horizontal. The angles need to be close to the same but if the engine/trans are down 2.5, the pinion needs to be up 2.5. Then the pinion and engine/trans will be parallel and the u-joint angles will be equal. The pinion angle will rise under power so it can be set down a bit from the angle of the engine/trans.

Reactions: Arkangel77

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK So, both angles are compared to horizontal. The angles need to be close to the same but if the engine/trans are down 2.5, the pinion needs to be up 2.5. Then the pinion and engine/trans will be parallel and the u-joint angles will be equal. The pinion angle will rise under power so it can be set down a bit from the angle of the engine/trans.

It would be much easier to get the engine to 2 degrees rather than the rear to 2.5. What I plan to do it try it how it sits once the shims are in place. I am told that 1/2 of a degree "should" be fine and that small amount probably wont cause an Issue. If it dose than I will address it then. Thanks for that Link - GOOD info there man!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Steve69SS396

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
2 1/2 engine trans and 2 degree diff, under load is closer to 2 1/2. Also a 1/2 degree difference is not a problem

A well balanced DS is important. I replaced my stock one with a Denny's 3 1/2" aluminum

Automotive tire Bumper Gas Automotive design Auto part

1 - 11 of 11 Posts