Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I need some help. I recently put my stock guages back into my camaro after having it painted. The problem I have is wierd and I;m not sure what I did. Anyway I put it all in and then I turned on the headlights. The strange thing is both turn signals come on and stay solid and then the fuel guage goes to empty like there's no power to it. I have not idea what the deal is. If I don't turn the headlights on everything works fine. Has anyone had this problem before? These are stock guages and stock wiring harness? ANy help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
It's your ground. On the 67-68 gauge clusters there is a ground strap that is sandwiched between the plastic face part and the metal on the dash, it's held under the top center screw that holds the plastic part with the gauges to the dash. Does that make sense?
If it has a bad connection from paint or it was missed the gauge cluster lights do all kinds of crazy stuff.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Not that I can think of. I would say I'm 99% sure thats the issue, on 67's the ground strap is a looped piece of wire so it's even easier to miss, I just helped my buddy with a 67 ragtop he's restoring, he was having the exact same issues, blinker arrows lit up, no dash lights, and a couple other weird things. The strap or wire comes from the metal gauge carrier by the printed circuit, up the middle by the high beam indicator and is secured with that center screw. Mine actually started acting up and I used a conductive paste kind of like anti sieze and sanded the contact area of the strap on my dash, it fixed it and made the lights brighter, it must have been slowly losing conductivity without me noticing untill it started acting up. Without that connection you have no ground path.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts