Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My electric perma cool fan was causing feed back in the electrical and causing the car to not shut off right away, so I was told to put a diod (have to check the spelling on that) inline with the hot wire going to the fan, so I did and the car shuts off fine now, but the diod is getting really hot, hot enough that the electrical tape around it gets a little soft and really hot to the touch, can anyone help witht his?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Finding a Diode that can handle 30 amps or so is a problem. You can't just go down to Radio Shack, as the biggest one they have is only good for about 2 amps. It will overheat and burn your wiring harness up. Best bet it to power the fan through a relay that is powered by a temperature switch and the ignition key. That way when you shut off the car the relay drops out and disconnects the fan completely.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

·
Registered
523 Posts
Agree with Mark. Even if you find one huge diode it's still going to run warm. I'm not sure what you used for a schematic, but Mark's correct over the relay. The next problem you may run into is a relay the won't do the job. Contact a guy named Adam at this email address.
[email protected]
Ask him for his schematic. He can also sent you a list of parts that you will need and a place to get them fairly inexpensive. Tell him I sent you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by christopherj68:
My electric perma cool fan was causing feed back in the electrical and causing the car to not shut off right away, so I was told to put a diod (have to check the spelling on that) inline with the hot wire going to the fan, so I did and the car shuts off fine now, but the diod is getting really hot, hot enough that the electrical tape around it gets a little soft and really hot to the touch, can anyone help witht his?

Thanks,
Chris

Thanks, the fan works fine now with your help.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts