Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
does it stay past "f" or does it come down as it gets driven?or has it even had gas in it yet? if no gas yet, check grounds and what not.perhaps the floating thing is stuck in the "f" position. maybe give the tank a good slap and see if it helps(or makes you feel better). Every car i have had goes way past "f" when i fill up.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I agree that you should check the ground. My Camaro however does the same thing when it is full of gas. The needle probably goes about an inch past the "F." It stays there for a bit of driving, but then starts coming down. I never really worried about it myself. When I took out my tank and did some work and reinstalled I did notice that the problem was worse and the needle was pointing WAY too far past full... to the point that it was pointing straight to the right. I cleaned up the ground contact a little and the problem went back to normal, an inch past the F at full.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I had the same problem...Ground the harness at the trunk were the sending unit metering wire plugs in...If the needle reacts by moving to E the gauge is fine...I had the same problem..The needle would not move from 3 o'clock...In my situation the sending unit was bad so replaced and gauge worked for about a week..Then the needle went back to 3 O'clock..Nearly flip with the thought of having to empty a full tank and do it all over when I discovered that the plug had come loose on the trunk harness(must not have cliped it in)..Pluged it back in and everythings good to go...Hope this helps...Double check all you conections...You do not have to drop the tank all the way to check the wiring...loosen the Tank straps let the tank hang a few inches and remove the rear plate and access through the hole located behind the plate ...Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts