Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 5.7 v8 in my 94 Z28. It has about 52000 miles. I want to put a supercharger (ie Vortech or powerdyne) on it but I have some people tell me that my engine isn't made for it and it'll probably blow. Others tell me that it should handle it fine. Is there anybody that has the answer? The supercharger seems like the best way to add some power but I don't want to do it at the sacrifice of my engine. Thanks

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
The LT1 engine is high compression so a supercharger is risking it. Most guys that break are the piston ringlands that let go. If you drive like a sane person, you can get away with a 4.5 lb supercharger for a while. But, you'll like the added power and want to increase boost which will end up hurting your engine. So, you either go with a 4.5 lb supercharger and enjoy it, or start by rebuilding your engine with forged blower pistons with lower compression in preparation for a 6-15 lb blower. I've been driving my 93 for 3-1/2 years with my Powerdyne 4.5 and no problems so far. But, I don't race it or abuse it.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged) & driven daily, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts