Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a car on ebay, prepped, pans, rails repaired, etc. but not even 25% completed(not worried about the project just the validity,
It's an auction car(ebay)! Item number: 130095474866

So here's my question the vin tag and the trim tag matches, i've decoded it and it's nothing to rave about just a 6cyl car. I further asked for a pic of the vin stamping under the cowl(1968 by the way). Now I'm getting a lil skeptical, since it was an ebay car. I won the auction, but have not sent the deposit due to this information not being present. :rolleyes: .

As I look at it, if the numbers are legit I'll pick it up, if not I'll accept the bad feedback and reply with the reason why.

So back to the question! Should the partial vin under the cowl match the vin on the windshield or on the trim tag? From what I know it should, but that may not be the case here. I haven't heard a response from the seller yet....

Also the blower motor is on so getting at the other is tricky!

Not sure if it's a scam or not!

I figure if he can show me some pics of the stampings, that match the vin it might be legit(pics that weren't in the ebay ad). If I do not recieve a reply and the pics was stolen with the intention of just getting a deposit and running, he probably can't come up with the pics I need.

Either that or I'm just paranoid!

I would think if someone won the auction I'd pretty much contact them asap! :yes:

Thanx for the help!

In case ebay wont show the pics here: VIN

123378N372436

From what i can tell of the trim tag:

01B
ST 68-12437 NOR
TR 722 ZZ

Brittish green with gold buckets L6 car (Don't worry it's not gonna be restored!)

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Link

The hidden VIN should match the VIN on the dash, has no relation to the trim tag #. With the front cap off of the car, both hiddens are easily accessible.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
Dave is correct. The hidden VIN will be by the blower motor. My car was complete which meant I could not see the one by the blower motor but luckily the one visible through the cowl vents between the windshield & Firewall matched the VIN on the dash. That made me happy.

FWIW, that 1982, 350 engine is not original to the 1982 Firebird. GM did not offer 350's in 3rd gen Camaro's until 1987. I know, I owned 2 third gen's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That's what I'm looking for a quick snapshot of the patial vin(since the cowl vents are not on it), to match the vin tag on the windshield. Hopefully I can get that soon and get moving on it. Yeah, i know about the engine(couldn't care less about what it is I'll be going a different route.

Thanx for the help guys!

Pete

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Actually, it looks like you already bought the car before your first post.
Those are the type of questions you are supposed to ask before making a purchase commitment. That said, nothing looks out of line in this auction and I do not think there is any kind of scam going on. Most sellers do not know about or show hidden VIN information. You will probably have to walk the seller through the process of finding them. Of course it should match, and if it doesn't you have a legitimate reason to void the sale. Be sure to check the title/registration paperwork matches the VINs and get a bill of sale.
Congratulations, it looks like a great start:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts