Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have a 94 Camaro 3.4l V6. I took the her into the shop. I am told that I need a new oilpan and gasket, the intake manifold gasket, some oil ring. The ideling computer had a malfunction and needs to be replaced. Then on top of that they told me that my K & N intake system was installed wrong and that i need the Fuel injectors flushed and throttle body cleaned. The bill comes up to $1953.25 am i getting riped off?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
My dealer would of probably charged you more...Unfortunately. Changing the oil pans on those if i can remember are a real pita.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
How bad is the leak? How much oil does it use? The intake gasket may be making the oil pan look worse than it is. Drivability first then the leak if it's not causing problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im losing very little oil. He said that the oil was linking and draining down the back of the engine. He also said that the oil pan was damaged but i dont know how that happened. plus how is a air intake installed wrong? its a K & N cool air intake

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok i have a 94 Camaro 3.4l V6. I took the her into the shop. I am told that I need a new oilpan and gasket, the intake manifold gasket, some oil ring. The ideling computer had a malfunction and needs to be replaced. Then on top of that they told me that my K & N intake system was installed wrong and that i need the Fuel injectors flushed and throttle body cleaned. The bill comes up to $1953.25 am i getting riped off?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
You're young with a job and don't have a garage and know squat about cars then be prepared to pay - PERIOD. In other words, build a garage, learn about your rides and prey your wife understands your Fetish!

$1953.25 would be a good down payment for a garage rental or down payment towards a loan building one on your property.

Can you learn to be a mechanic?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need my car fixed ASAP. i only have like 200 i know i can get more but not that much. And it sounds like the work would be really hard to do myself. or with the neighbors

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Hey, Travis...I'd have to go with Ron on this one (even if he is from the north :D ). Some of that mechanical isn't rocket scientist stuff...get yourself a good manual, and get your hands dirty. There'll be other stuff down the road that you may be doing.

capt

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
first off, you need to tell us EXACTLY what is wrong with it, your posts are a bit confusing

you can do the oil pan gasket and intake gasket in your driveway with a jack and two jackstands

total prices for those gaskets, about $40

IIRC, oil pan gaskets are a 6 hour job, which is a $600 bill right there

im not sure what you mean by oil ring, rear main seal? piston oil ring? the rear main seal means you have to take your transmission off.. its about 3 days of work if you dont know what you're doing

but really, go out and buy a book, the tools you need, and the parts, and you can do all of that stuff yourself for under $200

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
If it's not leaking that bad then forget it. If it's not running bad then don't flush the injectors. Why did you take it in?

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
If it's not leaking that bad then forget it. If it's not running bad then don't flush the injectors. Why did you take it in?
That's the question I'd like to know. What caused you to take it in initially? If the leaks aren't bad, they don't have to be fixed right away as long as you keep a very good eye on the oil level. Like check it everytime you fill up w/ gas. Like someone else said, drivability first. Meaning, make it run right by focusing your attention, and what little money you can, on fixing what truly needs to be fixed so you can drive it without it breaking down.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
I had a '94 3.4 with a bad oil leak and it turned out to be the o-ring on the plug (for lack of a better term) where a distributor would normally go. Not sure if you can get to this piece very easy as I had the intake off before realizing the plug was even there. It might be worth the effort to try this first.

·
Retired
26,617 Posts
Ask for a list of parts needed and then go to www.rockauto.com and look up each part... Ask for details on hours of labor and what they charge per hour.

An oil pan is $90.00, the computer is about $300 by the time they outsource it to the dealership to flash it. That's not including installation labor. Just the intake manifold gasket alone will run you about $800 - $1000 including labor.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
Not sure what is meant by and "ideling computer" but if the computer is bad, I bought one off ebay for $35. Didn't need flashing but you have to get one to match your tranny (auto/manual).

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
I had a '94 3.4 with a bad oil leak and it turned out to be the o-ring on the plug (for lack of a better term) where a distributor would normally go. Not sure if you can get to this piece very easy as I had the intake off before realizing the plug was even there. It might be worth the effort to try this first.

Atcually that is the oil pump drive, need to remove intake for axcess,
replace o-ring, and add small block dist gasket you dont get comeback.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
That makes sense, just like a dist. The o-ring was totally shot on mine. Wasn't sure if you could get to it with intake on or not.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Another thing there is no idel comp, may mean iac (idel air control)
GM dealers cannot reflash ecm before 96 (OBD 2)
if battery went dead, comp lost all it's memory it need to be run to find is't idel, and relearn, can be done with scaner or can be driven it will learn. these comps are good
NEED TO FIND ANOTHER SHOP

1 - 20 of 25 Posts