Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please help me identify the spring/tab in the photos. I nicked it with a cutting wheel when I was removing the old carrier bearing. The nick is half way through. This is a used factory 8.2 Eaton Posi with 3.36 gears. I am swapping it in to replace my 3.08 open carrier.

Can I leave it as is?

Will it break under stress?

If it needs replacing, where can I buy the part? How would I install it?

BTW, I just ordered my install kit from Toms Diff yesterday.

Thank you,

Nick

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Looks like the holder for the friction disc's tab (one of 4).

It's a low stress part.

Should come with a posi rebuild kit (friction discs and springs).

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
All that part does is keep the tabs on the clutch plates from wearing into the softer case. Don't worry about it. I'd be much more worried about nicking the bearing journal when cutting a bearing race.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great. The bearing journals are in great shape. I focused on them when cutting. That was how I nicked that tab holder, not focused on that part of the cutting wheel. I was real nervious cutting the bearing race off. I cut close to the bearing journal, but left a gap. I cut most of the way down (top to bottom), then I wedged a chisiel in the cut and wacked it with a 3 lb hammer. The race cracked and I knocked it off. Flawless.

I did read some people lay a weld bead on the race, causing it to expand. I tried that at first, oil did seep out, but it cooled too much before I could knock it off.

I have to say this fourm has helped me build my camaro in the last 7 years.

Thanks again,

Nick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts