Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arg! I pulled the old stereo out of the 69 today, and installed my girlfriends other radio-

Got everything hooked up- Put the power wires back on the batter- Got in- Turned on the key- Radio came on, played iwth it for a bout 5 minutes, set the time- Turned the key off-

Pushed the radio into final position- crimped the final two speaker wires (had to check for left and right while it was on)

Go to turn the key back on- Nothing- no dash lights, no radio, no gen light, (about this time i noticed the dome light was out too)

All the fuses are ok- I un-hooked the harness from the radio- and pulled it back out- nothing-

Unhooked & re-hooked up the battery wires- still nothing.

Is there a fuseable link in the engine bay somewhere that could have blown out?

Where can i start looking for this problem?

Thanks-
Ben

·
Registered
523 Posts
Ben see if you have power on the left side of the fuseblock. That's the BAT side or always hot. If you can't find anything there look at the connection back at the horn relay. You should have 12 volts to ground at that point on the large red wire.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, luckily, it Turned out to be something simple and stupid...

I think the terminals on the battery were just dirty... Got home this evening- Hooked the battery back up- Suddenly everything worked again.
Turned the car on and off a few times- worked. Turned the key enough to bump the battery- Got some sparks at the battery... Now the dome light is super dim.

Pull the battery leads again- re-seat- Now dome light is full strength...

Do the same thing again- Same result... Do it again, reseat the cables on the battery a bit- No more problem.

So- I took out some scotch bright and cleaned up the posts and the battery cables(they were real dirty)- Put em back on and tightened them down(they were on loose for all the tests above) No more problem....

John- Thanks for the quick response! I'm super glad that there is someone with your knowledge watching these posts ready to reply and help so quick!!! Just glad this time I didn't need it!

So far i'm hitting 2 for 2 with my electrical problems just being something stupid and easy!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts