Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1968 camaro convertible rr/ss
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys I’m having a hard decision choosing a motor for my 68 camaro and would like for you guys to tell me what set up is the best bang for my money.

1st turn key sbc 383 stroker (4800$)
383 stroker roller motor, hydralic roller comp cam, comp cam roller lifters, comp cam roller rockers, 3.75 eagle crank , 5.7 I beam eagle rods w/ arp bolts, moroso 7qt. oil pan, 2.02/ 1.60 bowtie heads ported an polished with manley stainless steel valves, ported and polished for 1206 gasket edelbrock rpm air gap intake, edelbrock long high flow water pump, 105 amp alternator one wire, msd distributor and Holley 750 carb. It is in the car as well and I was able to hear it run. Motor only has run time on it.

2nd choice sbc 406 no carb or accessories (4300$) motor is on engine stand never ran
Fresh from machine shop! Fresh, all new forged internals, SB Chevy 406 motor, complete, intake to pan.
509 two bolt 400 block, bored .30. (The two bolt main blocks are stronger than the four bolt blocks in the 400 motors).
New Scat Forged Crank
New Scat Forged H-Beam Rods
New JE lightweight pistons
Internally balanced.
CompCam 280 H cam. This is a wonderful street cam- Fantastic performance, great sound!
AFR aluminum heads 190shst
Tall Edelbrock Valve Covers- NICE!
Roller rockers
Edelbrock Vic Junior Intake-- one of the better flowing aluminum intakes.
Double roller timing chain.
Heavy duty brushed aluminum timing cover-- no cheapo chrome cover here!
Naturally new oil pump and shaft.

The first picture is the sbc 406
The second picture is the 383 stroker

C75B5CEE-E72A-412D-9601-5591797570E2.jpeg

433941F6-CE91-4732-AAB8-1FD48CEDD348.jpeg

·
13,829 Posts
The 383 has a roller cam and the 406 flat tappet. With the carb and accessories the 383 sounds like a better deal.

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Welcome, what part of Houston?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses guys! I think I will go with the sbc 406. My goals for the car is to have a NASTY 10sec street/strip car that I can still pretty much drive anywhere. If I go the roller cam route are there any cams that you would recommend to get me to my goals?

·
13,829 Posts
The OP was asking best bang for the buck. The fully dressed 383 fits the bill.

the 406 is a better engine with the additional cost of the accessories add at least another $1000 -$1500. Plus another $700-$800 if the cam is swapped to a roller.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Would the 383 listed get me to my goals with those internals and it being a 2 bolt main? Nitrous will be considered in the future but wanted to maximize the all motor combo first with going solid roller

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Other end. West, Bear Creek Copperfield
Agree with John, 383.
Nice to meet you! Good to have someone in the city to bounce some ideas around with. I have a procharged c7 that runs 10.7s right now in which I want the camaros performance to match.

·
In the 10's Moderator
19,783 Posts
The 406 as is will most likely not hit 10's without some help....I had better heads and way bigger cam (solid roller), but only got down to 11.302 @ 118-119.
The 406 with the 280H I had was good for 11.8's ? maybe it was.

The better deal would be the 383 money wise....but doubt 10's on that one also. (unless you have a power adder)

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
It takes more than just an engine to get into the 10 second bracket in the quarter. You need to build a complete combination. Car, suspension, gear ratio , tires, camshaft, intake, heads, carb , all have to work together. Don't buy an engine that someone else built for whatever vehicle they were planning on putting it in and expect it to be perfect in your car. For that kind of money have your own engine built.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys! I think I will go with the sbc 406. My goals for the car is to have a NASTY 10sec street/strip car that I can still pretty much drive anywhere. If I go the roller cam route are there any cams that you would recommend to get me to my goals?
I good start for picking a cam is to call a reputable cam manufacture or builder with detailed engine, trans and rear end specs.
wotked pretty well for me. My only mistake was not choosing the solid roller option.

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
At 10 sec don't you need a cage welded in?

·
In the 10's Moderator
19,783 Posts
At 10 sec don't you need a cage welded in?
At 11.49 you need a 5 or 6 point (most go 6) and that's good to 10.0....but there are other items needed also ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts