Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 79z28 currently has the wrong wheel on it size wise and its causing tire rub with the 15's. Previous owner ran low profile tires to avoid it but I needed new tire so I went with originals not knowing the backspacing was incorrect on the rim. SO...................
I was looking for cheap solution in the $84/piece range. I love the Salt Flat Special but not at the price for this car at this time.
Please vote or if you know anyone with original factory rims 15x8 let me know. Not looking to spend stupid money for a steel factory wheels either but would prefer to go stock.

Wheel 1

Wheel 2

wheel 3

wheel 4

·
19,789 Posts
Of those 4 choices I like the #3 also.

I will also say steel ralley wheels with tophat go with everything and they're cheap :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
I also like the rally wheels, and I think they would look good on your car, I like the disc brake center caps better than the derby style.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need to make sure i do this right though as well. I measure my curent backspace and its 3.5 inches and the 15x70 rubs in the inner well at the panel closest to the door. Not on the lip, does it in the same spot on both wheels.

Wheels & Tires: 15 x 7 rims, Goodyear GR70-15 steel-belted radials standard. Identical to 1978

Is supposed to fit in there from the factory so I need to make sure I'm selecting the correct wheel.

Size 15x7
Bolt Pattern 5x120.7
Offset -5.08

Is that correct?

·
19,789 Posts
Not real sure but sounds like you have the wrong backspaced wheels.

5 on 4.75" bolt pattern.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought I read the factiory wheels were 4.25 on the back space and I measured whats on the car now and its 3.5. I'm guessing this is the issue with my tire rub.

But I kmow different style wheels have different offsets and the back spacing is effected by it IIRC so I'm like lost that this point.

·
19,789 Posts
Get in there and look where it hit,how much room you have to move in,and maybe remove a wheel and get some measurments.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the wheel is off and I've been checking it out but Im not sure. Thats what I mean...LOL There is plenty of room to inward and my guess this will fix th issue but it's a hard thing to measure for. Where it's hitting is the flat part by the door when you turn to far or hit a bump.

I'm doing the bushings, sprins and shocks right now to see if it will help as well, I know the shocks are shot. I habe replacement leafs for the rear as well, pulling the air shock system out the previous owner was using.. it leaks anyway, is old and jacking a car up with air shocks is not my bag

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
:confused:If current wheel rubs on inside of well with 3.5 backspace how does factory fit with 4.25? If I understand correctly the factory wheel is .75 inch closer toward the middle of the car. I'm lost.

Jeff

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By moving the body of the wheel closer to the inside of the car it makes more room on the outer edges of the wheel well. It's rubbing out the outer side of the wheel well but not the lip. IT rub right in fron t of the quarter panel in front of the door.... if you can picture that..LOL

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Well then post up a better wheel in the 85/per range :)
Probably can't,unless you'll settle for off-shore made crap.
Personally,I'd save up until I could afford better made,better looking wheels.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well that would defeat the purpose of the car. It's my second that I drive when the weather isnt good enough for the 99 ss. So I want a cheap solution, not looking to spend more money, there is no need to.

The more I spend on beautification the less I can spend on go fast parts.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Everyone has justification as to why they buy cheaply made off-shore accessories for their American-made cars...those are yours.
Just remember...you get what you pay for...and that you only have to buy quality once to be able to tell the difference...:yes:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jeeeeeeeeesus man. I asked for a wheel not a lecture. Honestly WTF !!!
So everything you buy is made in the good ole us of a huh.... LMAO!

If I wanted to drop 4k on Fikse I would but I dont need to justify spending my money on cheap wheels to anyone but my wallet.

The idea of this car is to save another. You dont like my wheel choice and you have offered nothing in the line of help. Awesome !! You must be proud.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It seems like the sets you are thinking about putting on the car are not the best per everyone else. Funny how most people solve problems by throwing money at them. I would go to the wheel store, have them put set 3 on one side of the car, set 4 on the other, and get the set that you like that way.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
If you want to put cheap wheels on your car,far be it from me to stop you...:noway:

You did ask for advice and I told you all the wheels you posted looked like they belonged on a truck because frankly...they do.
You're the one who asked for opinions and I offered mine,I consider that help,you obviously don't...:noway:

If you want to put those wheels on your car,just do it and don't post here asking for advice if you're afraid some may not agree with you or have the same taste as you do.But since you asked...

And just so you know,yes...every wheel I have on my American-made cars are made right here in the good 'ol USA,
I researched them,I bought them,I mounted them on my car,and I can feel good about that.

I know that may be a novel concept to you but you might want to consider it...:yes:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts