Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1967 Camaro and recently started doing some research and have found alot of great info. about first gen. Camaros. However, i am still unclear as to what kind of Camaro i have. my trim tag reads:

03A G609
67 12637 LOS 17591 BODY
797-Z C-2 PAINT
2LG
4P

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Built the first week of March, 1967 at the Los Angeles plant

Custom Interior....

Parchment custom buckets.....:thumbsup:

Ermine White with Black vinyl roof...

4 speed with console

Factory radius rod.....could be an SS, but pretty much need the original, numbers matching 350 block to verify that.... could have been a 327 also...:confused:

Beautiful car....would love to see pics......:hurray:

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
That's correct Mitch. The 4P code is SS 350 motor. I would also like to see some pictures.

Welcome to the Team! :waving:

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
The number "4" in the VIN number (3rd digit) represents a 8 cylinder motor opposed to a "3" which represents a 6 cylinder. That is a correct VIN number.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
The trim tag number is for the fischer body build line ONLY....it really has nothing to do with the VIN, although they are so similar that most people think they should be the same.

Camaro Dave....we just went thru all this a couple months back with my thread "4P confusion". The 4P DOES NOT IN AND OF ITSELF refer to a 350 engine. The CRG research has determined that the 327 4 speed cars ALSO got a radius rod starting around Feb of 67 and there is NO differentiating designation between the 350 or 327 engine in the trim tag. They all just have 4P and, according to CRG, the P designates a radius rod...not a 350 engine. If he is lucky enough to have the original block in the car, that is really the only way to know FOR SURE if it is an SS or not.

Here's a link to the thread I started.
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=99918

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Here we go again, and the engine doesnt help either as far as a born with engine cause they didnt have partial vins
Most of them do, especially one with a March 67 build date.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
The 67 HP cars (L48s, L34, L35 and Z28s) do have partial VINs on the block. 4P means radius rod, need to know what kind of transmission (muncie, or saginaw) and the rear axle ratio to even begin to guess as to whether its an SS or an L30/M20 car.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
The 67 HP cars (L48s, L34, L35 and Z28s) do have partial VINs on the block. 4P means radius rod, need to know what kind of transmission (muncie, or saginaw) and the rear axle ratio to even begin to guess as to whether its an SS or an L30/M20 car.
Good point Mark, I forgot about the Muncie versus Saginaw and actually the location of the speedo cable hole in the firewall is a good indicator, since the 2 transmissions used different cable hole locations.

Darkside23, do you have a pic of the speedo cable location in the firewall ?? If it comes out between the steering column and the fender, it should have had a Saginaw and if it comes out over the bellhousing it should have been a Muncie....Muncie would indicate a real SS.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Ok heres a question. Do we know of cars marked with the 4P designation..what percentage were SS and what percentage were L30/M20?
This link to CRG data indicate an educated guess and a LOT of information on the L30/M20 combination and WHY it is often confused with a real SS.
http://www.camaros.org/l30m20.shtml

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.