Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently have the 60A stock alt on the drivers side head with the stock mount. I would like to keep the same spot. The reason I'm saying this is because right now I have around 3/4" clearance from the alt to the valve cover, so size is an issue.

I want to keep my GEN light also. 100A is OK. 140A would be better. Waht models should I look at? I like the polished look also.

Thanks.

Just found this guy ..... http://www.4alterstart.com/pages/store/skudetail.nhtml?profile=highoutputalternators&uid=10417&returnURL=http://www.4alterstart.com/highoutputalternators

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
The alternator in that link looks tasty. Plenty of power @ 1500, enough at idle.
And an external reg alternator like that one will complement and work with all the recent work you did to get your regulator squared away and fix your gen light.

Plug n play install, too. Only change I'd make to wiring is to run a new 8 gauge wire from the alternator power stud to your distribution block (I'd leave the current wire in place too.)

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The alternator in that link looks tasty. Plenty of power @ 1500, enough at idle.
And an external reg alternator like that one will complement and work with all the recent work you did to get your regulator squared away and fix your gen light.

Plug n play install, too. Only change I'd make to wiring is to run a new 8 gauge wire from the alternator power stud to your distribution block (I'd leave the current wire in place too.)

Thanks Jim, but I already have a 4Ga wire...:thumbsup:....lol

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just ordered that alt. He said it's a Plug-N-Play setup..... Hook it up just the way mine is and it will work! I asked him why he thinks everyone else doesn't carry one that can do that. The most external alts I see is around 60A. He told me " I don't know , why don't you ask them?" lol He's been in business since 1954. I would guess he knows what he's doing. Anyway it should be here wednesday at a cost of $130 with a new 2 prong plug.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Good choice Marc, have to let us know how it worked out. I had to upgrade as well, after needing more power to provide for added audio stuff, and you may as well down the road. This is one case where bigger is better.. power wise that is.

capt

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the biggest one they sell and cant be happier
and the chrome was top quality
Sounds good. I should have it Wednesday.:D

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
JimM, you suggest running an 8AG wire in addition to the 10AG wire that's already there(two at once)or just not bother removing the old one(one plugged in and one just run to location)? Thanks. I currently have an internally regulated 250amp unit. I have done some inspecting and it appears that a thicker gauge wire has been run. Would it hurt to run another in addition to the one that's there now? Can having two wires cause any charging issues? Thanks and sorry for the hijack.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
If you have stock heads without the accessory holes on the front, your mounting options are going to be limited. Aftermarket heads usually have holes in the front that give you more mounting options.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts