Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The boys over on the mustang forum are beating up on the chevys pretty bad on the distributor being in the back. I need help pointing out the design flaws in the ford motors. They are also mentioning the solenoid being on the starter and the metal spark plug shields. Just how many things can we find wrong with a ford motor???

1) over-complicated timing cover/water pump setup

2) ?

3) ?

4) ?

I also brought up that except for a few years with mustangs, ford cars look like *** (yes....I'm being childish)!!! LOL

·
Retired
26,692 Posts
Please don't start a forum war, we don't need a bunch of Mustang guys bashing TC and TC members don't need to bash other sites...

I know there can be some good clean rivalry between Mustang and Camaro folks but it's easy to go beyond that... Thanks

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Im no expert but my machinist loves to slam Ford motor design. He showed me a spark plug with a sleeved design that when removed from the motor tend to drop deposits that have collected along the edge of the sleeve onto the piston. Now his question was, once that happens what do you do next? Pull the heads?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dennis.......I wasn't looking at it that way. The guys at VMF are good and helpful. This is all in fun. A lot of them own chevys (or cheby's to them). I'm just not informed enough to engage in banter. They are well aware that I'm chevy first and ford second. I thought it might be a great way to learn about things to look for or think about with my '67 fastback. I do see and hear your concerns though!

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
The blocks are not exactly the stongest. They crack all the way through the valley area down to the mains area.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
They can't figure out how to make power n.a. with a 4.6 modular motor. Their answer is a supercharger, just to run with an LS1. Chevrolet's repsonse, the LS9.:D

·
Registered
245 Posts
If they are giving you a hard time about Chevy hiding the distributor at the back of the motor, remind them that if they get a radiator leak, or a bad puddle, their distributor will get hit with water long before ours will. Usually a bad thing :).

Tell them to count their head bolts too....the Ford small block uses 10, we use 17... remind them we need all those extra bolts because of all that HP we make ;)

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
Bell housing bolt patterns were all over the place. Made it difficult swaping big block/ small block. As matter of fact there were differences between each one respectively.

Edit: I'll fess up to the fact of driving an F150 daily. Nothing wrong with Fords, buy/drive what you want to. Each MFG. has it's quirks.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I was also going to mention the lack of head bolts. That is enough of a reason not to use a Ford engine. Who cares if the distributor is in back. I would rather have that than replace head gaskets after a good nitrous run.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Parts interchangeability between model years with F0*d is substandard. Go to a F0*d dealership parts counter and you'll quickly understand why. It took 2 hours for me to purchase the 10 bolts that secures the center section to the rearend housing of the 9" in my Camaro because I didn't have a part number. Dummy me, I thought all 9" rearends used the same bolt in the housing. Guess what, they do, and I could see them in a parts bin directly behind the counter where the guy was standing, I left and went to another dealership and got the correct part number but they were out of stock, so I go back to the first dealership with the part number, quote the part number to the parts guy and he reaches into the exact bin where I knew they were, I pay for them and tell him " the only F0*d parts I'll ever have to buy and they're goin' on a '69 Camaro, sure glad I didn't actually own a F0*d vehicle" with this kind of service".

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
How about the 10 million different engine blocks they have produced, FE, Windsor, Cleveland... Different variations on the same motor, 351, 352... come on guys, 1 cubic inch more?
Oh, KB supercharger barely out runs bone stock ls1 cars.... ba ha ha ha ha....
Not a rant or bash post, just the plain old truth.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was also going to mention the lack of head bolts. That is enough of a reason not to use a Ford engine. Who cares if the distributor is in back. I would rather have that than replace head gaskets after a good nitrous run.
Yeah that and the tiny rod bolts!!! What about their stock heads and how they flow.............BOOOOO!!!:noway:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had a guy ask once why ford put their oil sump in the front of the motor and chevy put theirs in the back. I told him cause the ford doesn't make enuf power to force all the oil to the back of the motor like a chevy does.
That and some of the fords have 2 drain plugs in the oil pans and you have to pull both of them to get all the oil out.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
they are retarded if they are complaining about the distrib being in the back, and about something as stupid as a solenoid on a starter and something to protect heat from the spark plug boots

seriously.. what idiots come up with this stupid stuff?

if you want to slam them, then tell them how a v6 camaro can beat a 98 and lower mustang gt stock for stock

·
Registered
115 Posts
I drive a 98 Mustang GT, daily. I like it, but it's no Camaro.

edit: here's a picture of it. :) BLASPHEMOUS!!!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
they are retarded if they are complaining about the distrib being in the back, and about something as stupid as a solenoid on a starter and something to protect heat from the spark plug boots

if you want to slam them, then tell them how a v6 camaro can beat a 98 and lower mustang gt stock for stock
:beers::beers:
That and a chevrolet has the REAL flamethrower option ;)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If Dennis happens to read this, I want you know that I am not posting this stuff to the Mustang forum!!!!! I am using it for my own knowledge. I do find it interesting. I was surprised to find out that the 289 and 302 motors have 5/16 rod bolts. Great for a short stroked motor that you want to run up into the R's. Wonder how many kids have bolted on the 200 shot NOS and blown the bottom end right out of the car!

I will have to say this though......I'm building a GT-350 out of my '67 fastback and those things are bad-to-the-bone in appearance!

·
Retired
26,692 Posts
If Dennis happens to read this, I want you know that I am not posting this stuff to the Mustang forum!!!!! I am using it for my own knowledge. I do find it interesting. I was surprised to find out that the 289 and 302 motors have 5/16 rod bolts. Great for a short stroked motor that you want to run up into the R's. Wonder how many kids have bolted on the 200 shot NOS and blown the bottom end right out of the car!

I will have to say this though......I'm building a GT-350 out of my '67 fastback and those things are bad-to-the-bone in appearance!
Thanks it's appreciated... It's thoughtless comments like this that start problems and are not appreciated... If one guy from the Mustang forum sees this it will be pure flames and Al and I will have our hands full.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Thanks it's appreciated... It's thoughtless comments like this that start problems and are not appreciated... If one guy from the Mustang forum sees this it will be pure flames and Al and I will have our hands full.
sorry, i didnt mean to cause trouble, i just think it is stupid for people to argue over things as dumb as that

its like trash talking someone who is left handed, i mean, its pointless

edit* but i guess i just did what i am saying i am against.. ill go out forst, and say im a hypocrite

·
Retired
26,692 Posts
Victim... (what's your name?) you really missed it with the distributor and remote starter solenoid... I have never seen a ford vs chevy debate get serious over items like these. They are the most common items tossed out but because of their trivial nature are ice breakers. Example you walk up to a Mustang owner at a show and say "nice car, too bad the distributor is in the wrong place". It gets the conversation going and always makes the list when looking to rib or joke with a ford owner. It's not a serious thing or issue at least in the part of the world I've been around.

My objection is over refering to others as retarded or saying others have stupid ideas etc. You can joke with people over their obsessions but if they think you are throwing insults they are bound to fight back and it doesn't matter what car they are into...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts