Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 69 camaro has recently developed a habit of not cranking when the ignition switch is turned. Does not happen every time. But is becoming more regular. Checked the power to the coil and only getting about 9 volts when switch is engaged to turn starter over. Need advise. What is the likely cause? BTW starter is new. If ignition switch is likely cause, could someone please POST how to change it out or where I can find info. on web. Thanks in advance!

------------------
1997 30th anniversary Camaro SS, & 1969 Camaro 327 coupe.

·
Registered
40 Posts
wd:Measuring the voltage at your coil with the ignition in the crank position tells me nothing. If the battery voltage is 13 and the voltage at the coil is 9 your points could be closed. If your starter does not engage listen for the solenoid calling in when you turn the key, if it doesn"t chances are you are not getting a signal to the s terminal on your starter. I would be looking at the neutral switch inside your console? Garry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses. The battery and starter connections are good and the battery is registering 13 volts. When I turn the key I'm not getting anything. It is completely dead. Electrical grimlins are not my area of expertice. So I believe its time for the shop.

------------------
1997 30th anniversary Camaro SS, & 1969 Camaro 327 coupe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I changed the ignition switch on my 68 a few years ago. I rember it was tricky until I got the old one out. All you need is the ignition key and a paper clip. The clip goes in the little hole by the key, put the key in and turn ( don,t rember which way) while pulling out.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hey WD,
To remove the key cylinder turn to acc use the paper clip and then turn farther the same way.

But before you do that get a test light,go to the S terminal on the starter, or the small one next to the engine. Have some one turn the key to start, if the light lights up and it don't start it's the starter. If the test light don't light up move the gear shift back and forth a few times and try again to start.If it still don't start, get in the car hold the brake,and turn the key to start and hold it there while moving the shifter slowly down through the gears. If it starts adjust the netural safety switch to start in park. If it don't start it could still be the netural safety switch. If the shifter is on the column,it will be the half moon looking switch on top of the colunm close to the floor.There will be a double plug with two 12GA purple wires plugged in,again using a test light,turn the key to start,both wires should light the light.If neither wire is hot the ign switch,or plug on the back of ign switch is bad. If one wire lights the light and the other don't the netural safety is bad, or out of adjustement.

Good Luck
Larry

·
Registered
288 Posts
P.S.
If it is a floor shifter, pull the shifter bezel off and find the same two big purple wires and use same process as in prior post.

Larry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts