Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's 20 degrees here in Maryland and My 96 Z28 has no heat HELP!!!!
I bleed the system and I have heat.Alot. Run the car In the shop and for a long time no problem, plenty of heat. Take It out on the road and in no time no heat. Engin temp is fine. Fan is OK
I don't get. I realy don't wont to start replacing parts with out not knowing whats wrong. Thanks, I hope

[This message has been edited by punchy (edited 12-06-2000).]

·
Registered
715 Posts
Do you know if coolant is getting to your heater core? There is a vacuum operated switch on the inlet hose to the core. Also need to make sure the door is moving inside by the heater core. This allows warm are to pass thru the heater core drawing the heat from the coolant and thus warming you up. May just be a vacuum problem from the controls to some actuater servos under the dash.

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth

·
Registered
622 Posts
Pressure check the system ASAP, that will help you determine why you are getting air bound, also check the cap for poops and giggles.
My .02

·
10,144 Posts
Here's my theory,
Your thermostat is bad and stuck open.
When you test it in the shop, the temperature is controlled by the electric fan which doesn't come on until around 205 degrees.

When you drive down the road, air is forced through the radiator core and the engine temp goes down because the thermostat is open.

If you changed to a lower temp thermostat like a 160 degree one, that will do the same thing.
I don't understand why the engine temp would show OK when this happens. It should be reading too low.
Also if the coolant gets too low in the system, the water pump will not pump anymore.

Any leaks?
Check for bubbles in the coolant that would indicate a leaking head gasket. If it leaks enough, it could blow coolant out of the system.

Also check the coolant reservoir hose for plugging. Remove the hose from near the cap and blow through it, you should see bubbles in the tank.
I've seen them plug but only in dirty conditions. Then the tank will fail to replensih the sysetem.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 12-06-2000).]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank to all. I have put a new thermosat in(no change) so I will start with all the other sugestion. Thanks again guys
I really appreciate all of your help.
I will keep you posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts