Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an oil leak kicking my ***!
It's coming from the front of the intake.
I have replaced the intake gasket twice.
Both times I didn't use the cork strips that came in the set. I just used
black RTV.
It's a 400 with a super victor intake and dart pro 1 heads.
I'm using the felpro 1206 gasket set which is what DART recommends.
jeff

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
I know all RTV is not the same. I've found that the best is Super Blue. It hangs on a hook at most parts stores. I used it on my 12 bolt cover 25 years ago and it hasn't even sweat-ed.
Another thing to consider is that RTV is silicone. Nothing sticks to cured silicone. Not even silicone. You have to chemically or mechanically remove it. That doesn't mean just scraping with a blade. A wire wheel, at minimum is needed.
Another trick that usually works is to assemble your stuff with RTV but don't tighten the fasteners until the next day after the RTV cures.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Was the block surfaced before being honed ? What about the heads, were they surfaced ? Could be the intake wasn't surfaced/machined to match the heads and it's off just enough to not fully seal. I've seen this happen a few times and is why when I used to build motors we always required the intake, new or used, to be supplied so we could machine it to match.

·
Super Moderator
32,448 Posts
As suggested, you should place the manifold on the heads/block without gaskets to see the interface.
A manifold hitting the block first before touching the heads is not good, but can be remedied.
I use BraKleen or lacquer thinner to clean the gasket surfaces to remove oil, RTV does not care for oil.
I use Chrysler/Mopar Black RTV on the block surface. Alcohol does soften RTV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts