Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the number one plug wire? The cap is not marked.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
thanks for posting that for me Gary..i will mark it next time..:eek: ..

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
If that's the same small-cap computer controlled HEI that my '91 truck had, or a standard HEI, the #1 plug is whereever the rotor is pointing when you're at TDC after the #1 intake stroke. That could be anywhere if the distributor has ever been removed.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
generally, it's a good idea to just install the distributor with the rotor pointing towards the #1 cylinder. the #1 wire goes on whichever terminal lines up with the rotor.
makes it easier if you ever decide to tear it apart down the road.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
You can search the achives and find the answer. With the engine on #1 TDC, the rotor should point in the direction of cylinder 1. Otherwise, the vacuum advance canister will limit your adjustment on the timing and the wires may not reach.

18436572 should be the firing order.

You might have to twiddle the oil pump shaft to get the tang to line up with the end of the distributor. Also, as you set the distributor in place, it will want to rotate as the helical gears mesh. As a result, you have to lead on it a tad so that rotor points toward #1 as it seats on the oil pump.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I think you are talking about the GM Small bodied HEI with the externally mounted coil. My 91 pick-up had this. According to my Haynes repair manual there should be a raised 1, marked on the distrib. cap. This should be your number 1 cylinder. If your cap is definately not marked ,rotate the crankshaft until the timing mark is at "0" ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE. and see where your rotor is pointed. This will be your number 1.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
thanks everyone for posting here..the suburban was missing only at take off so i did a tune up and of course that didnt help so i had to pay to put it on a scope and sure enough it was a sensor fuel part..but thanks for all your help everyone!:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts