Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so this isnt my camaro but its a 95 v8 6spd and supposedly my friend said her man changed the cat 4 yrs ago and 02 sensors 2 yrs ago

throws no codes
and didnt pass emissions?

im only helping cuz they bought my ticket a couple weeks ago to a concert so i told them i'd help however i could :) lol

the emissions paper says it failed in cruise and idle on both the HC (ppm) and CO(%)

any ideas?

should i tell them to seafoam the intake and clean it out..?
clean the egr valve?
new air filter,plug,wires something??
im just throwing ideas out there...
can a cat go bad in just 4 yrs?

appreciate any help!! thanks guys! :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Can go bad quickly depending upon alot of things. A quick way to plug a cat is to never reduce your carbon build up prior to the new cats and then running a ton of seafoam through it. Most often people don't use it regular enough to slowly burn it off. Then all that crap breaks loose in excess and stops up the cat.
Question: WA does tailpipe emissions on 14 year old cars? I think, but am not sure that here (TX) they quit testing at the pipe at 10 years.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Can go bad quickly depending upon alot of things. A quick way to plug a cat is to never reduce your carbon build up prior to the new cats and then running a ton of seafoam through it. Most often people don't use it regular enough to slowly burn it off. Then all that crap breaks loose in excess and stops up the cat.
Question: WA does tailpipe emissions on 14 year old cars? I think, but am not sure that here (TX) they quit testing at the pipe at 10 years.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya they still throw something on the end of the tailpipe to test for it....

she ran that "guaranteed to pass" bottle **** in her car and i told her to get her car hot before getting into emissions and it still failed....she has a service engine light that comes on every now and then, and it's not on now...and i don't remember if she said it was on when she went in....

does running the cheap gas make your cat go out quicker?

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Excessive Hydrocarbons (HC):
High hydrocarbon emissions result when fuel in the engine does not burn completely. HC in the presence of oxides of nitrogen (NOx) and sunlight may form ground-level ozone, a major component of urban smog. Check the following:

Internal Engine Problems
Faulty Air Pump
Ignition System
Exhaust Gas Recirculation System (EGR)
Catalytic Converter
Gas Cap

Excessive Carbon Monoxide (CO):
A rich fuel mixture can cause high amounts of carbon monoxide, which can occur when there is too much or too little air reaching the combustion chamber. Check the following:

Faulty Fuel Injection System
Worn Rings/Valve Guides
Air Pump System

Diagnostics for HC failures

Check for cause of rich mixture, e.g. Oxygen Sensor
Check Ignition timing and system (advanced timing and ignition components are some of the most common problems)
Check catalytic converter
Primary feedback sensor failure including MAP/MAF, TPS, RPM, and CTS sensors.
Vacuum lines (deterioration of vacuum lines, inlet manifold seals become more prevalent causes with age)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diagnostics for CO failures

Check for cause of rich mixture

High fuel Pressure
Fuel pressure regulator ruptured diaphragm
O2 sensor
Fuel Injectors leaking
Primary feedback sensor failure including MAP/MAF, TPS, RPM, and CTS sensors
Vacuum lines (deterioration of vacuum lines, inlet manifold seals become more prevalent causes with age)

How was the CO2 readings? High CO2 means the Cat is doing its job, low readings means its probably been expended. Need to know what is causing the SES light, might be something related to the High readings, mignt not.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Well....My 95 Geo barely fails the emissions test.I now go to a parts store and get this small $6 bottle of stuff and pour it in the tank. Can't remember the name,sorry. It comes in a orange and yellow bottle you can hold in the palm of your hand.Mix it with about 4-5 gallons of gas and a 10 mile ride right before testing. The Geo fails on HC. Usually a high combustion chamber temp is responsible for high hydrocarbons. Changing the oil and plugs a couple days in advance of a test can do wonders too. Here's a kicker. Got an 86 Silverado with a good 350 motor and a few goodies that gets exceedingly low emissions.Goes to show what a good well maintained motor can do.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You mentioned the air filter in your original post. I've found that a fresh air filter is cheap insurance before a smog check and you probably need one anyway. Everyone keeps forgetting about it until it's really old and dirty. Not enough air in will cause all kinds of problems from emissions to poor mileage and even low power if the filter is really old and clogged.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts