Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rattle (several actually) coming from the front of my car. The most annoying one sounds like a bouncing marble when I hit certain bumps. I've checked everything I can think of fender bolts, hood latch, RS components, suspension bolts, radiator support, sway bar ends and so on. Is there anything I could be missing? All front end components are new so I'm confident it's not a ball joint or tie-rod.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hello, Make sure your outboard brake pads are tight against the caliper. These can cause anoying rattles if loose. I have also seen shocks go bad and rattle. Actually the piston inside the shock will rattle. Hope this helps! Take care, Jeff Parker

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Shock bolts? I've had them loosen on me and rattle. Sub-frame bolt?

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
You don't say if you have headers or not but here's one for you. I had the same noise and it was a header bolt that had worked loose and fell down between the pipes by the collector. Must have happened with the prior owner because all the header bolts were there when I got the car. Drove me nuts.

·
Registered
312 Posts
You mentioned the front end being new, recheck the ball joints for grease, they will make a noise that could be discerning. Also the radiator support bushing bolts, sometimes they are left loose and will rattle.. good luck

·
Registered
269 Posts
You may or may not have checked this. I stuck a magnet on a flexible shaft down the hole where you tighten up the lower control arms. I found 3 bolts and one 3/4 inch socket (not mine, but kept it anyway). Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Did you do a front disc brake conversion?

I had an annoying rattle in the front suspension that I could not track down. It turned out that one of the bolts that holds the steering arm to the spindle was slightly loose. This allowed the steering arm to slap the spindle and make the annoying sound. I noticed while fixing the problem that the bolt was a little too short - it barely made it threu the nut. Maybe factory DB cars used longer bolts?

I added some Loctite and torqued to spec. That was almost a year ago and I have had no problems since.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I have some more investigation to do .

Gheatly, my car is an original DB car. I had that same problem and found it by mistake. It turns out I didn't tighten the bolts enough when I put it back together :eek: . My shock are new but I guess a new one could be bad how do you tell? they seemed OK when I had them out. I compressed them by hand. They gave good resistance. The brake pad was an interesting suggestion I'll deffinatly be checking that out.

My suspension guy said it was the spring against the frame so I rebuilt the front end over the winter and the clearance is better (and the car leans less too) but I still have the noise.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Check your sheetmetal up front. Make sure the inner fenderwells are properly bolted to the fenders and the fenders to the main body. Check the hood latch support bracket, the one that run vertical between the lower valance mounting point and the rad support. Look for gremlins caught in your aircleaner !!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
This is a long shot but worth a try. A Camaro/ Nova frame is formed from sheet metal and sometimes there is some extra metal (edge of the blank) that needs to be trimmed down around the spring pocket. I know HwyStarJoe ran across this problem and corrected it. Are you running aftermarket springs? If they have a higher rate or thicker coils then they might be rubbing or slapping this area. You'll have to remove the springs to diagnose and fix this problem. If a spring is contacting or hung up on this flap it could be making your car to lean slightly too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts