Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple of years ago I replaced my rear springs... OEM equivalent from Rick's. I haven't driven much and everything seemed fine for first year. Now took car out of storage and every little bump in the road, rear shackles are banging frame rails. A friend said it seems like springs may be too long? But they were/seemed fine when I first installed. Any thoughts? Appreciate any ideas before I replace the springs. Also appreciate any suggestion for new springs vs Ricks?

...my car was used in Diner's, Drive-Ins and Dives Philly are taping a few years ago too!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,280 Posts
Post some pics. How old are the shocks?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shocks are about 8 years old... but maybe 1K miles. A friend just suggested to bag the original look and buy an adjustable coil over to start.

·
Premium Member
4,280 Posts
Shocks are about 8 years old... but maybe 1K miles. A friend just suggested to bag the original look and buy an adjustable coil over to start.
That is pretty extreme. It will cost at least $2k. Makes more sense to spend a little time to troubleshoot the problem first imho.... Post a few pics....

Don

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree... why I am seeking opinions and ideas. There are no obvious signs of the cause... shocks fail? springs fail?

·
Super Moderator
32,304 Posts
Generally, rockers are parallel with ground, fluids full and spare tire with jack, when viewing.
Shackles should be a right angle to frame rail.

·
Premium Member
5,291 Posts
Your description says "shackles banging frame rails". Can you see where it is hitting? In my mind the shackles can't hit the frame unless the rear end shifts from side to side. It's more likely for the rear of the spring to hit the rear tail pan or the frame rail but IMO unlikely with low mileage springs and bushings. I'm wondering if the noise isn't inside one or both of the shocks.

Jeff

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trying to post pic of shackle position... for some reason not letting me?

Rear not moving... the spring is actually what is hitting the rail when the shackle goes back.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Perhaps the shackles are too long. They would contact the rear panel under the bumper. Correct shackles are short enough to move under the panel. They would also make the rear end sit a bit lower.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts