Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-
Searched the past forums (2000), but couldn't find any info on this.

I've got a 1989 RS with a sick speedo, and I'm trying to get it out. I've got the "official" service manual for the car, but it's not very detailed... at least, not enough for me.

I've managed to get the trim panel and instrument cluster loose, and now it seems the only thing holding the cluster in is the speedo cable. However, I can't get enough slack in the speedo cable to pull the cluster back far enough to remove the "two retaining screws" on the back of the speedo that will finally liberate my gauge from the cluster.

Have I missed something? Is there something else that is holding back the cluster, such that I can't pull it out? I tried getting more slack on the cable through the firewall, but it's not enough. Unless I can shrink to about 2", I'm not going to be able to reach those screws.

Please help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I can see the U-shaped release clip, but I can't reach it with my fingers. Let me explain some more of what I did, and maybe you can help.

1. I removed the black plastic gage "outline" from the dash with the torx bolts.
2. I removed the clear lens piece that covers all the gages.
3. I removed two bolts holding the white plastic gage cluster to the dash.
4. At this point, I couldn't pull the cluster out far enough, so I removed a small black trim piece directly under the steering wheel.
5. Now I can get under the steering wheel on the floorboard and look up into the back of the cluster. I can see the clip that you mention, but I can't reach it with my fingers. I'm afraid to disconnect it with a long reaching screwdriver 'cause I don't think I'll be able to reconnect it. I try pulling on the cluster with the speedo still holding the cable, but I can't get enough slack be able to reach behind it and get the clip.

Maybe this will help figure out what I'm doing wrong? Should I remove the entire dash, or are there other trim panels I should be removing maybe?

·
Registered
523 Posts
A long way of doing it is to disconnect the speedometer cable from the trans. After that unclip it from any supports under the car and under the dash. This will allow the cable to pull forward with the dash cluster.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to mention this is a 5-speed manual. Will the procedure for the cable attachment to the trans be any different?

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about re-connecting it. The cable should click right back in with a minimum of effort. You can almost throw the gauge cluster back towards the dashboard and have it clip itself in!! :D

Paul D.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks John and PDQUICK. You guys have provided me more information than all 3 of my camaro manuals combined. I went ahead and removed the speedo tonight.

Do you think I should replace the whole cluster while it's apart, or just get the speedo fixed? I might replace the voltmeter too - it's acting a little quirky.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Additional Question:
Anyone know where I can get a good reproduction or repair on my current speedo? No one in town works on them...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts