Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I have a 3rd gen. with an airbag. I just finished removing the airbag and centre unit of the wheel. I removed the nut that is on the end of the main bolt that attaches the wheel and has teeth. But the rest of the wheel wont come off. Its really on there and I have no idea how to take the rest of it off. Theres only 1 bolt and I already removed the nut for that. I thought it might be stuck so I WD-40'd it and its still not budging. does anyone know how to take the rest off???

------------------
1990 Camaro IROC-Z 305 TPI.

www.geocities.com/camaromandan/home.html

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
You need a steering wheel puller.I hope you disabled the air bag system!!!

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
You'll need to use a puller available at any parts store..usually they have them for rent.
Those 2 small threaded holes next to the shaft is where it attaches.

But on the air bag......did you remove the fuse for it?....a very big explosion could happen if it is not disabled!

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
Pro-Touring.com DropTop
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS/Z28

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No worries guys, I got it off, one of my friends owned a puller. And yes, sorry I'm not THAT dumb. I removed the fuse the night before, and stayed in the passenger quivering like a child when removing the airbag. (It scares me.) but I did get everything done and attached. Thanks for the input =-) it looks great. I installed the momo millenium steering wheel!

------------------
1990 Camaro IROC-Z 305 TPI.

www.geocities.com/camaromandan/home.html

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you disconnect the batt and wait about 5 minutes you'll be ok to do anything to the system you need to do. People are so paranoid of the airbags. All you have to do is unhook the battery and wait a few minutes and you'll be fine. I've been into a bunch of air bag steering columns and have never had a problem. It's more dangerous to check circuits under the dash with a test light than it is to remove the bag from the wheel with the batt hooked up. Don't ever probe a yellow loomed harness/connector with a test light! I've removed several bags with the batt hooked up without a problem but I definetely do not recommend it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts