Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Im new to this site and I am currently building up a 1968 Camaro with my father. It is going to be an SS Recreation/clone. We are currently building up a 396 Big Block for the 68 Camaro.

My question for you guys is this: What transmission should I run in the camaro with the 396 BB to make it worth more when done... A Turbo 400, or a Muncie M21 4-speed???

The car is an original Automatic console car, so Converting the camaro to a 4-speed manual car will be almost $1,000 more over the automatic TH400.

We plan on cruising it and driving it for a while once done, but I do have plans to eventually sell the car after its done. I have alot of college loans to pay off and when the time comes to sell the camaro, it will help pay for it.
I would like to know which combo would be more profitable in the long run when its all said and done.

Any help you guys give me would be GREAT!!:)

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
4 speed without a doubt. Real cars have 3 pedals.

ZAPPER

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
Real cars run full manual valve body's in their automatics!! A well built automatic is much more consistent than a 4 speed anyday!! And I know how to drive a 4 speed manual trans quite well.

Keep the THM400 in it!! The money you will spend converting it to a Muncie will offset the additional asking price you possibly may get with a 4 speed. In addition to that if you will be running headers and if it's NOT a factory 4 speed car you may run into problems getting the shifter level to actuate the bottom of the steering column to get the reverse lights working which is the issue my 1969 has. I know 1967 & 1968 are different.

Bottom Line: You sound like a young guy in his 20's and no later than early 30's. There are alot of guys on this board who favor the 4 speed, I personally do not. And like I said I know how to drive a 4 speed very well. Don't get me wrong I like a manual trans if the car came factory equipped with a manual trans like a Z06 Corvette or a Mustang GT. But if you look at alot of today's pro-touring cars and even the brand new 2007 models on the dealer's show room floor they are auto-sticks or trip-tronics. That means they are automatics which depending on the shifter lever position they can be shifted manually.

You guys can spare me the comments about the Z06 Corvette, Dodge Viper or Mustang GT/Cobra. I know they are manual trans cars. But we are talking 1967-1969 Camaro's here. Most of teh pro-touring, high dollar resto-mods today have well built automatic's in them with overdrive's like a 2004R, 700R4, 4L60, 4L80E.

Keep the turbo 400 in it....4 speed manual transmissions are becoming dinosaurs ahnd for good reason. They simply can not outperform a good well built automatic. And remember real cars have full manual valve body's in them.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Since you said you'll just be cruising it then selling it, go with the 4-speed.

Twice as much fun to drive and greater demand for the manual trans cars.

·
Registered
910 Posts
If you are talking resale though, NADA Classic collectable blue book (although it is actually orange) says adding a 4-spd = $1350 more in resale. 4-speeds consistently are drawing more money at the auctions and that is precisely why I am converting from an auto to a 4-spd.

Good luch and there are some good conversion kits out there!

Bill

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! Thanks for all response guys, I really appreciate it.

Our 68 Camaro was orignially a 307 small block car with only a 2-speed powerglide. Thats why I am at a point where I have no tranny at all. I am building a mild 420-430 HP 396 Big Block for it.

We do not plan on really racing the car at the drag strip or anything like that. We use our 71 chevelle SS Stroker car for that ;) .

It will mainly be a car set up as a weekend warrior/crusier. One that will be reliable, but yet smoke the doors off all the lil riceburners out here in Orange County. :D

Since I will basically be working from scratch with no tranny at all, or any tranny accessories and parts; that is where my dilema is on which one to run. The Camaro was originally an auto console car, but only with a 2-speed powergilde auto in it.

My main objective right now is planning for better re-sale value when it is restored, and time for me to sell the camaro.

Thanks again guys for ALL the info and opinions!:)
:beers:

So far, I really like this Camaro site.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In addition to that if you will be running headers and if it's NOT a factory 4 speed car you may run into problems getting the shifter level to actuate the bottom of the steering column to get the reverse lights working which is the issue my 1969 has. I know 1967 & 1968 are different.
I plan on running the Shorty Hedman headers for my camaro with the 396 BB. Part # is 68610 in the Classic Industries catalog. They are 1 3/4" tubes and 3" collector.

Will those Shorty Hedman Headers have any issues with either the Turbo 400 or Muncie M21??

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
joe, try a 2004r...you`ll love it on the highway, and with a manual vb, you can shift four gears...lol...plus, with the right converter, you can really get outta the hole!!!

·
Registered
862 Posts
I WAS going say, if the BB is original to the car, go with the auto, if that would keep it as close to original as possible . Since it is not, go with a manual. Its all about muscle in a muscle car. Someone willing to lay down 10's of thousands of dollars for a 40 year old car wants something cooler than their subdued daily driver, sedan automatic. Also, if you can, put your hand to an original 12 bolt posi, preferrably numbers correct for your investment of love.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the reply everyone. As I said in another thread, I looked up some prices and most places sell either a new B&M or TCI Turbo 400 for about $1,000. Torque converter around $170 and Flexplate is around $75 or so.

I found a place out here in Southern Clali that sells rebuilt Muncie M21's for about $1,100.

So, With a centerforce clutch, Hurst shifter, Flywheel, and all the other micelanous 4-speed conversion items from classic industires, it will set me back about $900 more additional over the $1,100 muncie tranny price itself.

So im looking at about $1200-$1300 for a turbo 400 trans.
OR,
about $2000-$2100 for a muncie M21 with all parts.

*Both these prices dont include if I need to cut the driveshaft. If it is an orignal small block 2 speed powerglide car, does the drivesaft need to be re-sized?

Im Wondering if it will be the worth the extra amount in the long run to put in a 4-speed or the TH400.

I know you guys are much more experts than I am when it comes to Camaros...
I guess what im trying to say guys is, what would a 1968 camaro SS clone sell for FULLY restored with a 396 BB and either a:

$= 68 Camaro with 396 & Munice M21?
OR
$= 68 Camaro with 396 & Turbo 400?

:confused:

Thanks guys for being patient with me and all my questions.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Stick shift is the way to go for a weekend cruiser and future resale.
I just did this to my 68 and am very happy with it.
Drive shaft and cross member was a direct fit going from a PG to M20.
I spent less than a $1100 total, but that was because I had a couple great buys on ebay.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I guess what im trying to say guys is, what would a 1968 camaro SS clone sell for FULLY restored with a 396 BB and either a:

$= 68 Camaro with 396 & Munice M21?
OR
$= 68 Camaro with 396 & Turbo 400?

:confused:

Thanks guys for being patient with me and all my questions.
NADA adds $1700 for 4 speed over automatic, but the reality is more people are looking for 4 speeds and there are less of them so it probably adds even more.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I assume you know when you convert a 307 car to a BB car you'll need to change engine frame mounts, crossmember , heater core and cover, radiator and shroud, to name a few differences between the 2.

Do a search; there are a lot of differences between BB and SB Camaros.

joe

·
Registered
349 Posts
To me, the finest example of a car is still worth nothing if it has an automatic. I find no enjoyment whatsoever from a car that makes decisions for me. Re-sale is much higher for the original 4 spd cars. I can find first gen Camaros selling fairly cheap all day long, but finding a 4 spd car always seems to cost money and there are not many of them. Go with the stick!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.