Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
slid my axles and keepers back in last night but when I was installing the pin and lock bolt, a round washer fell out. I spun the gears around to see where it came from and another one fell out.
According to my chassis manual they look like thrust washers. Tried to get them back in behind the little spider gears but they wouldn't go.

I'm retarded when it comes to rear ends and need a little help getting this back together.

Rich

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Those are thrust washers. They go behind the pinion (spider) gears. There should be no felt in the rear end. Is this a posi rear end? If it is then the thrust washers will slip behind the gears without moving them. It might seem hard to get them in, but once you get them in line they will just slide in. It is very important to get them back in place. If you don't then the gears will eat up the case. Before you put the cover back on you need to check them one more time to be sure they are in there.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Help with 69 rear end

BigGearHead, I just spent the last 3 hours trying to get those washers back in and short of hammering them, they wont go.

I have to be missing something here... The felt I spoke of was actually a bead of silicone someone put on the back side of the spider gear. No doubt to keep those washers from falling out during some maintenance.

Those washers do go behind the spider gears right? If it were on the front of the gear it would be on the tooth side and that makes no sense.

I pulled the main bearing clamps thinking I would remove the entire assembly, put it on my work bench so I can see a little better but I don't know the proper sequence to pull it out that so I stopped.

If you can give a little more insight on what to do I would greatly appreciate it. It sounded so simple as you said it but I found it to be the oppisite.
If I need to pull the entire thing out to work on it whats to procedure?

Oh, yes it is a posi.

Thanks again,

Rich

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
You don't need to pull it out. Torque the bearing cap bolts to 60 foot pounds. The thrust washers should slip in place if everything is right. The gears should be loose right now, with enough space behind them for the thrust washers. I don't have any pictures that show how to install them. Are the springs and preload plates still in the posi? They should be pushing the axle gears apart enough to give some clearance behind the pinion gears. Maybe something has the gears in a bind and pushed against the case. Try putting an axle in and have someone turn it back and forth a little and see if that helps.

·
Registered
601 Posts
if you rear out turn spiders to you see them put washers on back end and slide back both gear got to be even you will see if not even than turn a tooth and try again if washers fell out easily you dont have posi or it is shot do you see clutches on side of gears?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You don't need to pull it out. Torque the bearing cap bolts to 60 foot pounds. The thrust washers should slip in place if everything is right. The gears should be loose right now, with enough space behind them for the thrust washers. I don't have any pictures that show how to install them. Are the springs and preload plates still in the posi? They should be pushing the axle gears apart enough to give some clearance behind the pinion gears. Maybe something has the gears in a bind and pushed against the case. Try putting an axle in and have someone turn it back and forth a little and see if that helps.
BGH, yes; "the springs and preload plates are still in there". I'm totally stumped but will try again tonight after work.
I figured I had to be doing something wrong because how easy they fell out. If I can't get them in tonight I will snap a few pics and post them up for your opinion.
This is the final part of my complete suspension rebuild, for the most part it went off without a hitch.

Thanks again for your help.

Rich

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Help with 69 rear end

Update; I finally got the washers back in by pulling the spring plates out. The springs were binding the gears keeping me from putting the washers back in.

Everything is back together and working great.

Thanks again for all the help BGH. :beers:

Rich

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Glad you got it back together. I'm dealing with a similar situation in an 8.2 10 bolt. The washers fell out and I'm going to have to get them back in before I put the cover back on. That will be another day. This is the same 8.2 that I built about 5 years ago for the 383 4 speed '69 Camaro that has been lifting the front wheels with slicks. It still looks very good inside.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts