Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got the Camaro out today to let her run for a little while. Started to pull back into the garage and slowly applied the brakes and heard and felt some weird noises. Almost a shuddering feeling. Definitely vibrations and not a rotor shimmying or brake pulsation situation. Didn't really feel anything weird in the pedal or in the steering wheel. I was only going a couple of miles an hour.
It felt like the front right wheel was on a piece of ice and was sliding. Went in reverse because I thought I ran over something and the noise did not occur when applying the brakes. Did this several times and it only happens when going forward. Don't know if its a front or back brake issue. Anyone have any idea here? Stuck caliper? Novice when it comes to brakes so be easy. TIA!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another attempt to describe this, brakes seem to grab with a slight vibration at low speeds. Not metallic or any squealing. Front rotors, rear drums.

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
How old are the front brake hoses? Are you saying the brake on one side is acting like it doesnt release after applying pedal?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How old are the front brake hoses? Are you saying the brake on one side is acting like it doesnt release after applying pedal?
I do not know the age of any of the brake components.

It feels like it is occuring at the front right side and it occurs when pressing the brake pedal. After pedal is released, feeling and noise go away.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Do you have drums or discs up front? I know you mentioned "caliper" in your first post, but looking at your signature, your car sounds fairly stock.

Just checking...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have drums or discs up front? I know you mentioned "caliper" in your first post, but looking at your signature, your car sounds fairly stock.

Just checking...
Yes, it originally started with drums but somewhere down the line the previous owner swapped the fronts to calipers.

Prior owner did not drive the car much and there could have been LONG period in which the car sat and did not drive. I assume that could affect the brakes potentially. Just adding more info.

·
Registered
355 Posts
To help rule out the rear brake drums, try using the self-adjusting feature. Drive backwards and apply the brakes to a stop several times. You don't have to slam the brakes, just apply firm steady pressure until the car stops. This will help to insure your rear brakes are properly adjusted. If this doesn't help, there are many other things that could cause the symptoms you described. Try removing all wheels and the rear drims, inspect for leaks or fluids on the calipers, hose connections, discs, drums and pistons. Make sure all bolts are snug. Check your pad thickness and look for corrosion. Others may be able to provide some help as well.

Good luck, Mike.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Mike for the input. Will check into those.

Did want to post up a video so you can hear the sound. https://youtu.be/W5vz-vQ0uR8

Also it is definitely coming from the rear right side when the car is going forward. It does not occur when you go in reverse.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Lift the front tire off that seems to have the brake issue, push the brake down hard and release, and then check to see if that tire turns. If it does not take a wrench and loosen the bleeder and re-tighten. If the wheel releases you have a collapsed rubber line to that wheel that will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great stuff, thanks for chiming in everyone. Just got in for the evening so I hope to get to look at it this weekend. Thanks again!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will definitely use this for reference. Thanks a ton!

When you get your drums off you will see a mess that looks something like this. It should be obvious if things are out of whack.

Good luck.

·
10,144 Posts
Check the back side of the backing plate for fluid leaking. If you have a wheel cylinder or axle seal leak, it'll make the brake grabby at low speed.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great, thanks David!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just getting around to looking into this. Been busy everywhere else.

Took 30 min to get the drum off. Might have been first time that guy has been off in 47 years!

Mike,
Can you repost your picture? The link must have been corrupted since it is not view-able any longer. I'll probably post a video here in a little while to get some opinions if I am overlooking something obvious. Thanks!

When you get your drums off you will see a mess that looks something like this. It should be obvious if things are out of whack.

Good luck.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are some pictures and video. From Mike's picture, I might be missing a couple of springs at the 4 and 5 o'clock area?
I noticed is the front pad (right) was a lot thinner than the rear pad. Probably needs replaced? I'll replace both, of course.
Also something at 1 o'clock in front of front pad.
The wheel cylinder looks to be leaking; coated with brake powder dust. Its dry however so I assume the leak is small.

First time in brakes so let me know what you guys see. I am going to attempt to replace pads and parts myself. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Dom,

It is hard for me tell what is going on in there. My advice is to take the other drum off and compare the two sides. I am not a brake guy and its been 15 years since I worked on drums, but I did do it myself back then. To remove and install the springs and retainers, you will probably need a drum brake tool which you may be able to rent from one of your local auto parts stores. I think they cost about $10 is you can't find one for rent. If the cylinders are leaking, replace them. Parts should be relatively inexpensive. Do one side at a time so you have a sample to replicate.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts