Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. I've purchased my '68 Restomod a year ago when I was in NY from a dealership who bought it from the original customer. The dealer had no idea what was done to it. Honestly, I'm not experienced in 1st gen camaros (more into modern jap cars) but here is what I know about mine:

-350ci V8 (fully restored)
-4 speed hurst
-upgraded brakes
-cams
-700+ carburetor
-I just installed AC with compressor/intercooler

I was too busy while working in the US. I'm back home now and have had more time to spend fixing the car. I found an experienced mechanic who suggested to switch my carb to a Carter 600cfm, he said what I have now is too big on my 350ci, causing too much fumes and fuel burning.

I'm looking to order parts but gets a bit difficult knowing what fits or not. I would appreciate if you could give me suggestions on parts, what websites (summit etc..). below is what I would like to do. Please see photos attached for reference on what would fit/work

-Carter 600cfm carburetor
-LED halo headlights (oracle?)
-Center console
-Suspension (the left side is lower than the right-mechanic said he could just adjust)
-Sway bars (car swings side to side .. not very stable, will swaybars fix?) which sway bars (post link)
-Anything else?

Photos
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BxkB1nH6HuvlNEhfVzF0czRNdlk?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance!!

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,581 Posts
If your car is swaying from side to side, it's probably related to the fact your ride height is not level. Get the mechanic to tell you what is the cause of that and repair the suspension so the car is level and it might improve the swaying issue. Sway bars are more for cornering and will not improve straight line driving in my opinion.
Nice Camaro!

Brett......

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts
Sounds like the car might have coilovers in which case the ride height is easily adjusted. Sway bars should address swaying under all conditions. Don’t get too carried away and use big front and rear bars. Try a front bar first.

Don

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If your car is swaying from side to side, it's probably related to the fact your ride height is not level. Get the mechanic to tell you what is the cause of that and repair the suspension so the car is level and it might improve the swaying issue. Sway bars are more for cornering and will not improve straight line driving in my opinion.
Nice Camaro!

Brett......
absolutely right. I forgot to mention, did a measurement and the left side is lower than the right side (about a finger lower lol). The mechanic said he could lower the right side to be level.

Just thinking if that would fix the issue, or would i need some kind of sport suspension, since I do not know whats mine on.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like the car might have coilovers in which case the ride height is easily adjusted. Sway bars should address swaying under all conditions. Don’t get too carried away and use big front and rear bars. Try a front bar first.

Don
Not sure it's on coilovers, I'll have to double check.

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts
Not sure it's on coilovers, I'll have to double check.
If it’s not it will be interesting to hear how your mechanic fixes the ride height. One finger difference is fairly insignificant on these cars and almost certainly not affecting the ride and causing it to sway....

Good luck,
Don

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the carb on your vehicle. Rochester Quadrajets commonly came in 750 and 800 cfm varieties. If you want better mileage, switch to a Rochester for the smaller primaries. But really, if your car is running well, leave it alone.

·
Registered
594 Posts
If you can find out more information on the engine that would help in deciding which carb would work best. e.g. camshaft used, cylinder head combustion size, flow- intake & exhaust sizes, rear end gearing and even your ignition system? The sum of all these parts help optimize performance.
Looks like you have a Holley carb, that could be jetted down if its needed.
Here's a few links to help you out with information on the carb.
https://www.holley.com/support/carburetor/

Here's a link that might help with front suspension parts.
1967-1969 Camaro and Firebird StreetGRIP Suspension System

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's nothing wrong with the carb on your vehicle. Rochester Quadrajets commonly came in 750 and 800 cfm varieties. If you want better mileage, switch to a Rochester for the smaller primaries. But really, if your car is running well, leave it alone.

Its not running well. with the big carburetor:

Way too much black smoke
I can feel theres better room for torque, not unleashing, if that sounds correct
gas mileage is horrible!

could you please post a link on what Rochester you're recommending? Thank you

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you can find out more information on the engine that would help in deciding which carb would work best. e.g. camshaft used, cylinder head combustion size, flow- intake & exhaust sizes, rear end gearing and even your ignition system? The sum of all these parts help optimize performance.
Looks like you have a Holley carb, that could be jetted down if its needed.
Here's a few links to help you out with information on the carb.
https://www.holley.com/support/carburetor/

Here's a link that might help with front suspension parts.
1967-1969 Camaro and Firebird StreetGRIP Suspension System
Appreciate the feedback, and yeah unfortunately I'm new to the muscle car scene and the shop who sold me the car had 0 clue. I know, bad mistake but i loved it lol

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking to order a floor console as well as halos any suggestions on below and if they fit?

Console (link)

Halos (link) (link 2)

also if someone could send me links for Carburetors... Thank you !

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Spend the money to have it tuned(timing air bleeds etc), it would be much better and less expensive in the long run then just throwing parts at it. Yes the quadrabogs do have smaller primaries but Holly carbs can be tuned to be lean and mean. Want gas mileage go efi but for the extra bucks for efi you can come close with a well tuned carb.

·
Premium Member
3,689 Posts
I am definitely more of a Holley guy that the edelbrock or quadrojet. You have a double pumper on there. It could just be over jetting, and too big of a rear accelerator pump. A real carb guy can fix it as stated. You also have lots of shims in that control arm. It could be compensating for other bad hard parts. Might want to consider looking into the patches on the floors .

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im about to resume my 68 camaro restomod project soon and need some advice. As you know i bought the car restored, but shop did not know the details on what was done on the car from the previous owner.

I semi know a local guy who has experience in muscle cars and took a look at mine and has identified that my current Holley (dont know which one) Carb is too big for my setup. If I recall, he said it looks like its a 700-750cfm and has recommended going with a 600cfm.

I also don't know if the holley has a manual or electrical choke. I'm browsing on summit and was hoping you 1st gen guys might know better about our cars.

What Carb would you recommend going for? I drive the car once a week.

·
14,092 Posts
You have an electric choke. There is nothing wrong with the carb you have and imho a waste of money to change it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You have an electric choke. There is nothing wrong with the carb you have and imho a waste of money to change it.
Hi Vega, thanks for replying. Do you know which Holley I have?

·
14,092 Posts
Hi Vega, thanks for replying. Do you know which Holley I have?
I can not tell unless you post the #s on it.

I the picture the choke is closed. Is it opening all the way when the engine is at operating temp?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Don't buy another carb. If you have a mechanic, have him rebuild the one you've got. A rebuild kit is less than $20.
And make sure its jetted correctly. While the black smoke indicates you're getting too much fuel, a 700 CFM Holley isn't too big for a 350. I run a 650 on my 327 and could easily go bigger. The factory carb on a 302 was 780 CFM....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts