Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some quick help, scoured the internet and couldn't find what I needed so I decided to post. I recently purchased a '68 with a 327 and I took all the plug wired out this week to clean them and in making my diagram so I remembered how to put them all back on, I labeled #8 on the distributor twice :( and now I can't get them back on in proper order. Is there an easy way to resolve this? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Is this what your looking for, the link bellow. Best way to check is take off the coil wire and pull the #1 spark plug out, with your finger over the spark plug hole have someone tap the motor over until the compression blows your finger off the hole. Then check where the rotor is and this will be the #1 on the cap and start with the link bellow.
http://autorepair.about.com/library/images/bl256lib.htm

·
Premium Member
5,987 Posts
From your diagram, going clockwise on the distributor should be 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Driver's side front to rear is odds(1,3,5,7), passenger side front to rear is evens(2,4,6,8). Any 8 other than the first one you marked on the distributor is incorrect.
Good luck!

·
Retired
26,597 Posts
Put all the wires back on but the 2 #8's, then start at #1 (driver side furthist from the firewall) and trace the wire back to the cap. Then on the cap count clockwise 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 when you get to the 1st open spot on the cap (#8) Run a plug wire to the pass side against the firewall, that's #8. You'll only have one left from there!!

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
All info above is correct. Finding TDC is important if you pulled the distributor. Otherwise you can probably orient the distributor and hook it up.

I wanted to add that on GM motors, terminal 1 on the cap will be roughly in line with cylinder 1 (left front - as viewed from the driver's seat). But in reality it doesn't matter too much where number 1 on the cap is so long as your wires reach and you can adjust the timing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts