Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to check for a bad EGR? I just replaced the cat,plugs and wires. The car runs fine for a while and then starts losing power. The car is a 2000 with a 3800 V6. I had the parts guy scan the codes and got a PO300, PO404, PO756. I havent had the codes rechecked since the new plugs and wires. Any help would be appreciated!:confused:

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
P0404 looks like excess exhaust flow from the EGR valve. The EGR might be stuck open or the solenoid that controls it might be bad. You could try to remove it and check it, but you might as well be prepared to replace it. The P0576 is the shift solenoid B stuck or set to performance mode. That looks to be kind of common on the 4l60E transmissions, my 2000 SS has that code stored as well. The P0300 is the multiple random misfire which could be related to the EGR allowing too much air into the intake and causing a lean condition.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Jeff H. I have removed the EGR once already and it looked ok but don't know if the solenoid is bad. I will go ahead and replace it this weekend. Is the PO576 code something I should be worried about? Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
ok, so you have 3 codes here

random misfire, egr, and a bad transmission shift solenoid

first thing is you need to get the codes cleared and see if they come back... sometimes you can just get a random code

if it does come back, you can take the EGR off and clean it out with some carb/choke cleaner, if that doesnt work, you can try and take the tube off and see if there is any carbon in it

·
Registered
39 Posts
Check the EGR to make sure it works before you put it back on. The diaphragm could be leaking (i.e. not visible). Best way to check the EGR is to take it off, compress the diaphragm with your fingers, hold it compressed and put your finger on the nipple for the vacuum line covering the opening, let go of the diaphragm while holding your finger on the vac. and see if the diaphragm travels back to closed, if so it's bad. If it remains open release vac. and it should return to closed, good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The EGR doesn't have any vaccum lines ,only one electric plug on top. Is there any way to check this type of EGR?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the link! I checked the EGR its opening and closing fine, there was no carbon buildup in the ports. I drove the car around town with no problems. I was wondering if it might be sticking from time to time. The check engine light is off so I'm going to drive it and see if it does it again.

·
Registered
414 Posts
wait a minute... he said one of the codes was a p0756... so who went all dyslexic and turned it into p0576? Are you sure is wasn't a p0657? I need good info to help me not be confused.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Info is right, code is wrong. No harm, no foul.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
wait a minute... he said one of the codes was a p0756... so who went all dyslexic and turned it into p0576? Are you sure is wasn't a p0657? I need good info to help me not be confused.
[email protected], that's the 2nd time I mis-typed that code recently! The P0756 is the transmission solenoid code and I just saw it on another 99 SS Camaro this past weekend. Seems to be a common one for some reason. It's not a current code, but a stored past code.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That was an awesome "How to" link. I need to change the EGR valve on my car because I get the "Service Engine" light appear from time to time so that's really helped.

After reading this I joined up to this forum so will introduce myself better on a different thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts