Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 camaro and a 350 engine all stock and a 4 barrel quadrajet carb. A friend gave me an Edelbrock torker II intake manifold but I don't know if I should put it on or if I am better off with the original intake manifold. I don't plan to change the carb anytime soon.

Also, another friend is telling me that I should change out the original cam for an RV cam to add a little horsepower. Is it recommended that I put in an RV cam? If so what specs should I be looking for? Would it be a good combination with the original manifold or the Torker II?

Please advise....Thanks!

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Keep the stock intake. The Torker intake is a single plane manifold..... you'll gain some upper RPM horsepower at the expense of lower rpm torque (which is what moves you on the street. RV cams are generally short duration, lower lift cams which are better suited for torque than HP. If you switch to a single plane manifold and get a cam that works good with that intake, then you'll need to get better heads/higher compression/headers to take advantage full of the intake and cam. Pretty sooon you've got a small fortune in an engine that is less drivable than it is now. Nothing wrong with a single plane intake, but it doesn't sound like you're after a boulevard bruiser, just a cruiser.

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
as stated both wont work in your situation.
both of your so called freinds are wrong telling you that!
in order for a torker intake to work properly you have to have heads that flow correctly which means porting etc.
youll have to increase compression then put in a proper cam to take advantage of the increased flow then the intake will work for ya!
An RV cam is totally opposite of what you need to make that torker intake work for ya.
if you do put those parts in your car will run like a pos I guarantee it!
if anything I would get a nice aluminum dual plane like a edelbrock performer RPM and a decent cam (after you talk to cam mfg on your car specs as it is now for the best choice in cams)
And when installing do it without those freinds lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Also, if you do a swap as just mentioned with the Edelbrock Performer RPM, you need to keep your gearing in mind.

I just put a Performer RPM cam and intake on my 68 and they are nice, but I had to take out my original 3.31 ring and pinion and change to a 4.10 to get good off the line drivability. Once its moving it really moves though! In retrospect a 3.9 would probably have been the most ideal choice, to give me slightly lower rpm at highway speeds.

Anyway, like the other guys here, I don't reccomend the combinatioin you have listed.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Brain and Harry hit the nail on the head.
Someday you might want to do a whole manifold, cam, header, carb swap and then you can do it as a planned package and get much better results.
Putting in an RV cam is a lot of work and cost for minimal gains over stock.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok guys thanks A LOT....sounds like I would've been highly dissapointed had I listened to them. I have made up my mind and the car will stay the way it is. Thanks again!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm telling you stay with what you have i had a torker two on my 402 ran like crap on low end.no power till the cam came in at 3400 rpm.that's all i was hearing from my buddies is its not the intake.well all my buddies on team camaro said change the intake.so i went to a rpm duel plane endurashine intake.my car went from a sluggish performer off the line to a power house off the line.listen to these guys on here.they know what they are talking about.i run a 402 4 speed with a posi 342 gears with tall tires .i changed tires to a shorter tire like everett said & it would light both up like they were on fire.but i went back to my regular tires,but they were awesome to see what a 1 inch shorter tire would do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts