Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I just borrowed an Intercomp digital caster/camber gauge to set the alignment on my 68. I am having trouble achieving the recommended specs for caster and camber. The gauge is reading -1.5 for camber but when I put a level on the sidewall it is telling me that the camber is +!
The caster setting is also reading negative 3.0.
I have an 1/8" shim in the front and 3/8" pack in the back. The car is lowered approx 1.5" from stock. Any ideas?

·
10,143 Posts
Check the Intercomp web page for a manual for it.
I am not that familliar with that guage, but most digital levels require they be zeroed once in a while. Yours might need to be zeroed.

Clamp a vertical piece of flat steel bar stock in a vise and take a reading on each side, compare the two to see how far off it is. Measuring on each side will put zero between the two readings, so if you get 1 deg positive on one side, you should get 1 deg neg on the other side.
David

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
The Intercomp digital gauge is really nice. Torker and I went 1/2's on one and a set of toe-in plates.

Don't trust the level on the sidewall. The tire is not an accurate mounting surface. I too used to use a modified 18" carpenters level but could never get the camber correct. It mounted on the rim.

The grease cap also must be removed from the spindle and the seat where the gauge mounts must be free of burrs and nicks.

Be sure to drive the car around after each time you put in shims when you start getting close to where your settings should be. It makes a big difference, especially on toe adjustments.

Depending on suspension components your shim packs are close to what the alignment should be. On mine, 1/8" in front, 9/16" in rear shim packs. -1.5 camber, 4.5* caster on LH side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts