Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an original US master cylinder for 1969 Camaro that had not been on a car for quite some time. I'm going to have it rebuilt but I am trying to get it completely disassembled so I can apply a zinc phosphate finish on it before sending it out. I have removed the clip on the back and got the rear piston out, I then removed the set screw on the inside of the bowl but the front piston seams to be stuck. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
32,272 Posts
Place MC in a drain pan sitting on the mounting surface.
Blow shop air into the top brake line port.
The air should push the piston out the sleeve.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help, I just tried that but still stuck. I'm going to soak it today and try again tonight. Any other suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
32,272 Posts
Insert removal, sliding hammer.
Piston removal, heat gun or propane torch to the cylinder.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Bottom linew if the piston is stuck so hard inside then that means 99 time out of a 100 the borees are so corridede /scored u will need to buy a new one or get that one reseelved...and resleeving cost way more than replacing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bottom line up front. Thanks for the help! Here is what worked:
I took the MS in to work today and let it soak in the echo friendly parts washer. I purchased a cheap dent pulling slide hammer on the way home and it worked great for pulling the brass seats out. This allowed a better seal when trying to blow into the line hole but it was still stuck. Then I applied some Kroil oil and let it sit some more. Finally used a 1/2'' drive extension and a light hammer to free up the back piston and get it moving freely. After that, the piston finally came out with air as initially recommended. Tomorrow I will have this thing hot tanked then bead blast and zinc phosphated so i can send it up to Karps to be rebuilt. Thanks again for all of the effective advice.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Juyst curious here...hadny been on the camaro for some time..OK but to seize up that much where had it been? ot in the weather with no lid for 30 yrs.
I have done many orginal MC and slave cylinders, often from old vintage that have been out in a farmers paddock for decades,..even filled with clay, but never have seen one that bad lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts