Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to update from windows NT to something else, like XP. Do I need the $275 version, or just the $120 version? The lesser one sounds like it is just an update for XP, while the more expensive one is for a new computer. Is this correct? Thanks in advance,

Dave

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
the 275 version sounds like a retail cd.... go to a computer shop that builds systems ask them for a OEM version of the software. you should be able to get xp for about 149 for a oem full version (I would stay away from upgrade version). You usually have to buy some hardware to get OEM version so buy a 2 buck cable ect

·
Retired
26,597 Posts
Hi Dave, I know the upgrade version will work with NT4.0. It will do a compatibility check based on the installed hardware and software and will report anything that isn't XP supported before you commit to the install. I think XP pro would be you best bet if you do much upgrading of hardware. As I understand it the home version makes you register the install with Microsoft and then re-register after adding a modem or changing a network card or any other hardware it senses has been changed out or added. I have never had to do this with the pro version.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
hey guys... There are 2 versions of XP, home and pro. Home is the cheap one. Home will only upgrade NON-NT based versions of windows (been there, tried to do that)

If you have 95-98-ME, get home

If you have NT4 - 2000 get Pro

Note the word upgrade. That involves "upgrading" your current OS. Deleting everything on your computer, reformatting, and installing all new everything is a completely different matter, and you can use either for that, BUT to do a fresh install, you can't use a CD labelled "UPGRADE"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts