Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have oil stains on my driveway that i just cant to seem to get up.what is the best product or method to use?i am at my wits end.any and all help appreciated.thanks in advance

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had some bad spots on mine too and even some soft areas where gas leaked. I used a petroleum based driveway sealer from menards. you can probably get it at home depot also. Get up as much oil as possible before hand & then just roll on the sealer right over it, just do the whole driveway. Remember its oil based so the stain wont bother it,let it dry for 2 days, it will blend in. My driveway looked so nice, it had a gloss shine to it like paint. I think the brand name was brewer kote. spendy but worth it. 15$ 5 Gal. try it out your driveway will be the best looking in town, you wont even want to drive on it at first.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Brake parts cleaner or gasoline will cut through the oil and wash it away, or at least dilute it enough to where it isnt really noticeable.

Maybe not environmentally sound, but has worked for me.

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
simple green. undiluted. works great then get sealer.....crete cote?...looks great!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
wow.. another use for WD40.
that makes 2- it's also good for drying off a set of points when you get them wet in a self serve car wash stall..

·
Registered
952 Posts
Brake parts cleaner or gasoline will cut through the oil and wash it away, or at least dilute it enough to where it isnt really noticeable.

DO NOT use gasoline or brake parts cleaner on an asphalt driveway. They will both destroy the asphalt. A friend of mine did rear brakes on their car and didn't use anything to catch the runoff under the brakes when he sprayed them. He had 2 holes in his 2 year old driveway when he was finished. The solvents in the brake cleaner will eat the driveway up on contact. He tried to rinse the it with water but it didn't help, the damage was already done. The driveway just started to come apart when the water hit it. Gasoline will have a similar effect on asphalt, not to mention it is extremely dangerous to use as a "cleaner".

A better bet would be Simple Green or even dish washing soap and hot water can be a good degreaser.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my driveway is concrete and i have used dishsoap and it hasnt worked ,its pretty soaked in.is there any industrial stuff to use?thanks for all the replies so far.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I think a pressure washer will be an asset if it is used in conjunction with a good solvent. That's what I use. works good.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Costco, Target and many of the other large outlets carry a brand of product called "Oil Eater" - http://www.oileater.com/

This stuff works fantastic to clean oil and grease off of anything.
It's fully biodegradable and won't kill plants/lawn.

I use a ton of this stuff now for almost all my cleaning needs around the house and shop, it's in my parts washers now - good stuff :thumbsup:

Hope this helps;
John

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have just thrown some "floor dry" down and left it before. It seems to draw the oil out. Also I have found that if you sort of grind it in with your shoes then sweep it does a pretty good job of getting it up. I will also throw in another vote for the WD40 -that stuff will clean tar off the side of a car like nothing else I have seen!! Also does a great job of removing adhesives left behind from unwanted decals! --It's a floorwax AND and an ice cream topping! :D

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Home Depot has KRUD KUTTER in the Paint Department, amazing stuff, also available at Walmart. Very Very Powerful cleaner, even more powerful than Castrol's Purple stuff. Spray, let it soak in for 5 minutes then powerwash the stain away.
http://krudkutter.com/

1 - 20 of 29 Posts