Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered before, but im still not understanding what i need to do. I installed a petronix ignitor 2 and flamethrower coil. Im trying to figure out how im supposed to wire it.

I have a pink wire with insulation around it and a clip at the end, i also have a yellow wire with a nylon type cord attached to it, that i believe goes to the coil, and i have the yellow wire that attaches to the solnoid. I did a continuity test and all of them are connected. I read something about the IGN male plug end on the fuse box.

Im thinking im supposed to run a 12 Gauge wire from the IGN spot on the fuse box to the posative side of the coil,(is this rite?). and eliminate all the rest of it(is this rite?)

Any help would be great.

btw: the wiring is brand new factory fit, original style. and none of it was hooked up when i got the car

·
Registered
500 Posts
You should have had two wires connected to the positive side of the original coil. A cloth type insulated wire that comes from the bulkhead connector on the firewall and a yellow nylon insulated wire. One end of the yellow wire attaches to the positive terminal on the coil and the other end attaches to the small starter solenoid terminal farthest from the engine. Connect both of these wires to the positive side of the new coil. The black wire from the Ignitor II goes on the negative terminal of the coil. The red wire from the Ignitor II gets connected to the IGN terminal on the fuseblock under the dashboard. You will have to lengthen the red wire enough to reach the fuseblock. Pertronix recommends using at least 20 gauge wire. Personally I would use 16 gauge. I would also recommend soldering the splice in the engine compartment and using shrink tubing rather than using an insulated crimp terminal. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply 1 2RUN, i got another question though . isnt the yellow insulated
wire and the one from the bulkhead, steping down the voltage to 6V or something like that.If so, doesnt my new coil need 12 volts?

·
Registered
500 Posts
The wire with the cloth insulation is the one from the bulkhead. It's a resistor wire that lowers the voltage to around 9 volts. Your Flamethrower coil has a low internal resistance and would likely overheat if you gave it a full 12 volts. Everything I read on Pertronix's website recommends hooking the coil up to the original power source.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts